Can you eat before being induced?

My neice is being induced tomorrow morning & even though it was only 8 months ago, I can't remember if i could eat before I was induced. anyone know? I'm sure some docs may say different, but what do you think?

AmyMiLo

Asked by AmyMiLo at 10:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• id call her dr but my dr said if we get induced then i cant eat anything heavy basically im restricted to ice chips if i get induced lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would say okay to eat a light breakfast because she is going to need her energy. I wouldn't have anything heavy or anything other than water once she gets to the hospital.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Yes, it's not surgery. I always ate before an induction, it's just like if you ate before you went into labor on your own except a few extra hormones!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i wouldn't she may get sick and throw up do too the contractions i know when i had my first i couldn't stop throwing up once the contractions kicked in after the meds it was awful
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 10:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I was allowed to eat a small bananna at around 5:30 a.m. I was induced at 8 a.m. She may want to check with her doctor just to be on the safe side.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I know people that ate DURING labor. I wouldn't say eat a ten course meal, but it's fine to eat before an induction. If you are hungry eat, it's your body saying it needs something. I just got induced a month ago. I ate before, then I ate right after. Do what works for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My dad went and got me chinese after they started the induction. It started at 8 am and my dd was born at 11:58 pm, in between those times I'd eaten chinese and mcdonalds. The hospital let me have whatever I wanted to eat. I think it just depends on the doctor/hospital she's going to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would say eat something since you can't while you're in labor.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• They won't let you eat DURING so I'd highly suggest eating before. I was so freaking hungry but then after I puked I was glad they didn't let me LOL
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 11:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I slurped down a nice peanut butter milkshake right before I got to the hospital...not knowing how long it would be until I would eat again...I wasnt takin any chances! LOL! I stopped and got a cheeseburger when I was in labor with my daughter....Im not one who likes to starve!
    MYnKURTMOM

Answer by MYnKURTMOM at 11:52 AM on Mar. 15, 2009