Best way to get dog diarrhea out of the carpet?

I'm dogsitting for friends and the dog made the most sickening mess I've ever seen. He pooed everywhere, ate it and then threw it up. I know I know, sorry, DISGUSTING but I don't know if that changes the nature of the stain so I included it.

I have foster and rescue dogs in and out of my house all the time and none of them have ever made a mess this gross that just WON'T come out of the carpet. HELP!

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 10:59 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Pets

• I hate to say it..You /our the owners,need to replace the carpet. Try a professional carpet cleaner first.

Answer by louise2 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• ewww.. I don't envy you having to clean that up. First thing I do with any poop or vomit mess is get up as much of it as I can and then flood it repeatedly with cool water, blot, and repeat. I use a white towel to make sure I get it all up. Then I use Nature's Miracle for the stain and odor. Not sure what your carpet color is though... There is a resolve or something like that for pet stains, you might try that as well. Or Oxyclean... ugh. Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Most clothing detergents have enzymatic properties. Try a strongish solution of clothing detergent and warm water, let it soak a while, then place a folded town down on the area and stomp stomp stomp on it (the dance of joy). The check the area, see how much has come out. If you need to repeat the process, allow the carpet to dry and vacuum it before trying again. After the stain is gone and the carpet is dry and vacuumed for the last time, spritz the area with a solution of one quart warm water, one tablespoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of lemon juice, just spritz it lightly, don't soak it. I have been here before.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i use resolve carpet cleaner spray and it works great!
    i just cleaned poo out of my carpet the other day (not from a dog from a leakiny diaper yuck)
    and it worked wonderfully!
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 12:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• clean most the poop and puke up and take a shampooer to it..thats what i have to do
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• blot, blot, blot. Then soak it with distilled white vinegar. It'll help with the smell and the stain a bit. What color is the carpet? After you blot up the vinegar (after it sets a few minutes) you can try lemon juice or even peroxide. Depends on the color of the carpet, etc. There is also a product at the pet markets called, I think, Nature's Miracle that might help.
    DestMasters

Answer by DestMasters at 3:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Thanks for the answers ladies! I mixed up powdered Tide in warm water and it *appears* to have come up...we'll see when it dries. Doggy has been relocated to a room with a tile floor. :)
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 5:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• get an exacto knife and cut out the stained area, then replace it with a fresher newer carpet tile. Or, you can get a solution of Rug Doctor and baking soda to neutralize that stench, and let it sit for a couple of hours, before scrubbing it out rinsing and repeat! Why so you have carpet in the firt place, for this type of service that you provide?
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 11:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Service that I provide?...

I'm not a dog sitter. I do pit bull rescue, and there was a dog that I fostered and adopted out. His family was going on vacation and asked me if I would keep him while they were away. That's why he's here...this isn't my line of work or anything.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 12:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I see the OP found a solution but I wanted to offer my trick... YES, use white vinegar - it cuts the smell. I also have used SPOT SHOT, just be sure to "rinse" by blotting with a wet cloth after the product has set in. We've used Resolve High Traffic - just be sure to rinse it out as well. We have a German Shepherd with a weak tummy :-) and we have light colored carpet!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 3:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2009