What do you do?

What do you and your DH/SO do on a date? My fiance and I go out on a "date" about once a month without our son. We live with my mom so she agrees to watch him while we go out. We were fighting a lot and she suggested that we start dating again and getting away from our son every once in awhile. The only problem is that there are no nice places to eat in the town we live in so we have to drive about 30 minutes to the closest place. My mom gets pissy if we're gone more than a couple hours, so the only thing we have time for is to drive to the resturant eat and then drive straight back home. If we go anywhere else, when we get home my mom will say something like "I thought you got lost". We haven't been to a movie together since before our son was born 15 months ago, so our date nights are the same thing. Drive, eat, drive back home. We're still stressed even when we're on our date and we take it out on each other later.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• See, that is very mean and almost would make me not want her to watch him anymore.

Im afraid Id be like "YOU say its no problem and you love spending time with him and you get along great. However, when we get home you complain and act like its been a bother to watch him. So which is it? He's a bother or do you enjoy your time together?? Make up your mind because a date night means date night and it means we dont have a curfew"

Maybe its a good thing my mom is a few hours away LOL.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Don't go out to eat..Just go some were and sit and have coffee and talk..Go to a quiet bar and have a drink.
    You should ask your mom if you could get 4 hours instead of 2hours. for date night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would ask a friend to babysit, we do and then we sit for them in return, it's free and then we get plenty of time to go to a movie, eat out or just go for a drive... Our kids love being together so thats an added bonus... You live with your mom, maybe she needs a break too... Just an idea, GL
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:17 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'm only 20 so bars are out of the questions, which stinks. We go out and eat together because anytime we take our son with us to eat or we eat at home he has his hands in our plate trying to knock it out of our hands. We enjoy our no baby dinners just not the Drill Sergeant baby sitter.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I understand she needs a break too but she gets hers every week. She goes out and plays bingo with her friends for 5 1/2 hours every thursday and then some weekends goes to the bar, goes and gets her nails and hair done a couple times a month. I don't have any friends that could watch him. I only have 2 friends that I talk to, one lives about 25 minutes from me, goes to college, and has a 2 year old and the other we don't really talk enough for me to ask that favor of her. All of my fiance's friends are single with no kids. My fiance's mom is a pothead and they smoke in their house so I don't feel comfortable leaving him with her. I'm pretty stuck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I havent been to the movies in a couple years so I understand where you are coming from on that front LOL. DH and I rarely go out since we have no one that can watch our kiddos. We usually eat and occasionally hit a movie(if time allows).

Hmmm what I would do if it took so much time going and coming was maybe pack a picnic and drive somewhere. Just go for a drive and talk, enjoy each others company...soak it all in LOL. Then park, eat and maybe fool around. Might give you more time together but still within the time limits your mom has given(which I think is kinda rude on her part but at least she'll watch him).

Gosh, DH and I havent been on a date since our anniversary last September and it was cut short cuz DH got sick LOL. Before that I think it had been a year since our last date...ahhhh memories. LOL
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• See, my fiance thinks it's very rude of her to act like that too. Like when we go somewhere to eat and it takes awhile to get our food we have to scarf it down so that she doesn't say something like we thought you got lost. I'm always stressed on the date and on the way home expecting her to say something rude when she straight out tells me "I don't mind watching him" "I love watching him" "We have fun together". The last time we went out together we went to Chili's and then went to the mall right across the street (actually in the same parking lot) to get our son a belt, we went to Hot Topic and Spencer's then went straight home. When we got home she said the same thing as always and gave me a dirty look when we walked in the door. She even tells me she says stuff like "Mommy's Late" or "Where's your mommy?" to our son while we're gone.
    Anonymous

• could you maybe pack a picnic basket and find a close park..? or even on the side of the road where there is a pull off.. we use to drive to the lake which was behind our home and go for a picnic or just to watch the sun set.. or go for a nice long walk... or maybe order dinner and have it delivered if they can do that. and the go take it to eat someplace... or take your mom and baby with you, you guys have a romantic meal at a table for two, and she has a nice grammy dinner with baby for two and when you leave, leave together, and have her watch the baby while you walk off your dinner.. take a blanket, might find a wooded area to have some fun....
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 7:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2009