• In the Spotlight:

her bday gift broke and she just got it yesterday.. what would you do?

ok so yesterday dd turned 2. she got a little tikes digi camera and she absolutly loves it. grandpa and her were by the pool and her camera got soaked.. needless to say it wasnt waterproof. grandpa had gotten it for her and they arent aware its broken and if they buy her one its not going to be for at least a week or two. im wondering, if this was your childs favorite toy and it kept her away from your $300 digi camera.. would you spend the $50 and get her a new one thats waterproof? i mean me and my hubby went to radio shack and bought the one that broke for $25 (it was clearance) and we still never got the money back from his parents for the camera but yet they were able to claim the gift from them and not us. i would like to get her a new one but im wondering if anyone would think it worth buying it???

usmcgirl86

Asked by usmcgirl86 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you have the money to spare, but for a 2 year old I probably wouldn't, just my opinion.

Answer by Bmat at 11:37 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• IMO,,, I would not buy another one(camera for the child).. I would put my own camera up were my child could not get to it.

Answer by louise2 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would get the reciept and take it back to the store..don't tell them it got soaked just tell them it isn't working..and make sure that there isn't any water coming out of it when you take it lol........where did they get the cam at? and if they bought it within like 30 days im sure they can take it back..you can also call the place where they got it if it has been over 30 days tell them that they got it at an earlier time for her b-day and when she opend it on her bday to go and play with it it was broken sometimes they can work with you on stuff like that...i wouldn't go out and spend another 50 dollars on a camera..my child has the same one she got a year or so ago and i don't think that camera is worth it she plays with the one she got at the dollar store more than she does the that one and at the time we payed 60 dollars for it...some of the toys they come out with arent worth the asking price
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 11:40 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If I had the money I would buy another one. But if you dont then do not buy one she is two and soon enough she will fall in love with a new toy. My son loves toys for about a day then he is on to a new one.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If you do get another one, don't allow it near water.

She shouldn't be allowed near your real camera to begin with.

Tell the grandparents what happened and let her play with it even though it doesn't work. She's only two. I can only speak for us, but that wouldn't be an appropriate gift for our 2 year old at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If the fun she has with the camera is worth the money you'd spend on it, then go for it. I would try to get the money back from my ILs, then put it toward a new one. Tell the inlaws what happened. After all it was FIL that had the camera by the pool and he should have known better. Then let them know you need the money to replace it.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:51 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would explain to the child that it's broken. Okay, she doesn't have it anymore, no big deal. I wouldn't buy her another one at that age, but that's me. If the Grands wonder where it went, just tell them. No big deal. Kids break things all the time.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• um.. im curious about some of these answers.. have ya'll even read the post.. the 1st one isnt waterproof, and the one im thinking about getting is going to be waterproof. and also, please dont jump down my throat about her wanting to play with my camera. obviously i dont let her play with it. tell me, who has a 2 yr old sees you taking pictures and doesnt reach for the camera? honestly. obviously she isnt allowed to play with it.
    usmcgirl86

Answer by usmcgirl86 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My son it two and he loves taking pics with my digital camera. If you have the money to spare, buy another one.
    Anonymous

• I would if you have the money to spare, but i wouldn't break myself for it, ya know? Or you could tell grandpa and hopefully he will get one since he never paid you for the first one to begin with. Good luck, it just depends on how worth it is it to you?
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2009