My daughter is 5 & we took her to a bday party for a classmate & she didnt want to leave my side. The minute i told her we were going to pick her up in a little while she started to cry!!

How can i get her to be more independant? She has always been a little shy so whenever i take her on a playdate i have to stay for at least an hr or she will cry and cling to me. Once i come back to get her she usually is greta but, its just i guess the thought of me leaving makes her really nervous. She will be starting kindergardan this fall. Anyone have any advice on how to make her a little more confident and social?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give her this choice. Either you stay and I pick you up in a little while or we leave and you miss the birthday party and will attend no more parties ever! That's what I did with my daughter during ballet... she never cried again.
    Anonymous

• She is not ready to be this independent yet. I would let her take her time and do it on her own. Honestly, my son could not have cared less at this age about being left at a party, and I still never left him. I would start getting her geared up for kindergarten though because you need to talk about her going to kindergarten and being a big girl and you will pick her up when it's over and all of that.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• next time try staying until you see that she's doing something and is occupied and then queitly slip away
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I don't think she's ready to be left at a birthday party without you. My daughter is 6 and we aren't ready to do that yet, not to mention every party we have been to, the birthday childs parents still expect the other parents to stay. We just had my daughters birthday party this past Sat. Only one child's parents dropped her off and left, mainly because she's my daughter's bf and they live 3 blocks away and mom has a brand new baby at home. The other parents stayed.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i know exactly what you are feeling. my son is 5 and the same way. he doesnt even like to stay with my mom, she has to pry him off my leg 4 me to leave. and its very nerve racking for both of us.mine also starts kindergarden this yr and i am scared to death, if you get any ideas, let me no,lol
    itainteasy25

Answer by itainteasy25 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2009