school and BFing

ok so after my 6 weeks are up i have to go back to school.....can i start pumping and freezing before she is born? i have been told that she needs the breastmilk first before i start saving then after all the

1-teen-mommy

Asked by 1-teen-mommy at 12:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your milk won't come in until after she is born, up to a day or 2 later. You would only be getting colostrum, which is good for baby, but after a few days isn't enough to help sustain body weight and growth. Wait untill your milk comes in, you will be so engorged for a few days that you will have plenty of time to pump.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It's best to wait until after 6 weeks to start pumping because exclusively breastfeeding for 6 months will ensure that your supply is well established.
    However, with your situation being what it is, I would start pumping and storing the 2 weeks leading up to your return to school, but not sooner than 2 weeks.
    Good luck and congrats on breastfeeding eventhough you are returning to school!

If you need some in person support you can always check with your local La Leche League, there's bond to be a mommy(or two, or three) who has breastfed there and also returned to school or work. They can give you a lot of pointers as well as a ton of support.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Pumping during pregnancy can cause early labor. You can start pumping at any time after the baby is born, and freeze it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I've always started pumping after about 3 weeks. This may not be long enough to store up tons of milk, but at least you'll have something. Is there a place to pump and store the milk while you're at school? It's hard to keep up but it's possible. (Usually you'll find that you'll pump a good amount if you do it consistently while away from your baby, but almost never as much as they'll take from a bottle). Once my baby started going to bed before me, around 8 weeks old, I started pumping before I went to bed, as well, which gained me an extra 3-4 ounces a day. Stay in touch with the ladies on the "Breastfeeding moms support group" discussion group here on Cafe Mom. They offer great advice. And talk to the lactation consultant at the hospital where you deliver, too.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• yea there is a place to go and pump but i havent figured out where to store it at i have to talk further to the guidance counsler about where i can store it but they did say that i could pump at school they have had other girls pump as well.....how much should i pump a day at school?
    1-teen-mommy

Answer by 1-teen-mommy at 6:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• They should let you store somewhere, I'm sure there's a teacher's lounge at least with a fridge. You'll want to pump as often as possible. The ideal is every 2 hours but that's not often manageable for moms who are working or at school. Every 3 hours is still good. The quantity you can't control, and no one can tell you you need x number of ounces per feeding... To have the best chances of getting as much as possible, you'll want a double electric pump (they're faster as well as more efficient). Sometimes they're available for rental at the hospital if you don't want to buy one. Again, you can talk about these things with the lactation consultant... there should be one available at every hospital. Good luck, it won't be easy but it's the best thing for your baby!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009