• In the Spotlight:

HOW CAN I GET MY 2 YEAR OLD TO QUIT BITING?

SOMEONE TOLD ME TO PUT GARLIC POWDER IN MY TODDLERS MOUTH WHEN HE WOULD BITE. I TRIED PEPPER AND IT DID NOT WORK, SO I TRIED GARLIC POWDER AND HE HATED IT. IS IT REALLY MEAN TO GIVE GARLIC POWDER TO MY TODDLER, MY MOM-IN-LAW SAYS THAT WAS UGLY? BUT I AM TO THE POINT , I AM TIRED OF MY TODDLER MARKING ON MY DAUGHTERS ARM WITH BITE MARKS? ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANX

missmissy7164

Asked by missmissy7164 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What ever works. It wont hurt him and he will get the point. We have always used "hot mouth" we take a dab of hot sauce on the tip of our finger, not much at all, but we only had to use it twice and the biting was gone. My mom used it on my little brother too, he was s spitter, and it worked wonders.
    Anonymous

• I was also told to bite them back, I have never had this problem luckily!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 1:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• OOOh, that's a hard one! I'm going through this again as we speak. I am on my third toddler with this problem. I did everything! Time out, spank, bite back, take away toys, and so many more....I hate to say it. But I ended up having to just pick a consequence I was comfortable with and stick to it until they grew out of it. I know it's not the magic answer of the day. Oh yeah, the other thing I do is watch a situation that I know could escalate in to an injury, that helps sometimes. You'll get through it I promise, but I know it sucks!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2009