my kids yell at me instead of talking to me what do i do?

my kids are bi-polar,add,and odd so they yell alot when asked to help out what do i do?

cassieandricky

Asked by cassieandricky at 6:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• get them on meds and get some family counseling
    mrschrono

Answer by mrschrono at 6:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my 10 yr old is adhd and he yells too . We are going to start family counseling to try to resolve these issues. He is currently on meds and in his own counseling .
    angeleyesm

Answer by angeleyesm at 6:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• you need to talk quietly to them and have the house be quiet if you want them to be that way...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Have you ever asked them why they are yelling at you?
    Do you yell at them all the time?
    Try to talk quieter to them and correct them if they raise their voice.
    My son with ADD does this to me and I am trying to get him to stop as well. We are working on lowering our voices and taking a deep breath before we answer each other!
    Good Luck!
    Strssdmom72

Answer by Strssdmom72 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Don't let them know it gets to you. Per Supernanny....talk tell them in a calm and assertive voice that this is not acceptable behavior, if it continues put them into time outs and then make them apologize.
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 10:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• ADHD and Aspergers run in our family, but we chose not to have our son tested. We can see the familiar patterns in his behavior though. He picks up changes in my tone of voice before I do sometimes, so I have to pay close attention to how I speak to him. Any irritation or anger in my voice (even if it's not directed at him) causes him to escalate because he feels anxious about what *might* happen. The calmer I am, the calmer he is. If I start to raise my voice, I stop myself, take a deep breath, apologize and speak calmly so that he can have an example to follow. Correcting or reprimanding him once he starts to yell only makes him yell more, so I try to talk to him as if he had spoken calmly to me. It works wonders!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Take their most cherished thing away. Announce ther is no more yelling at ANYONE. All items will be returned when the home becomes a permanent yell-free zone. Good luck!

And Mom stops yelling too.
    ToldUNo

Answer by ToldUNo at 3:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2008