I have a 5 month old and he always seems to be hungry how much is a normal 5 month old eat at one time?

I give him baby food in the mornings and bottles through out the day. i put rice ceareal in his bottles but give him 5 oz bottles and he eats all the time..He is not a big baby so what is so advice on how much other babys around that age eats? thanks

jyssi1557

Asked by jyssi1557 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• one thing is even though he is a baby he is a boy and boys eat a lot...my children always ate a lot when they were infants and they aren't big...if he seems be be hungy try feeding him smaller amounts of formula more times a day and see if that doesnt help him......get him something he can hold in his hand and chew on....is he teething yet?
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 1:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• He is probably going through a growth spurt.When breast feeding this is when they never seem to want to be put down.The more they nurse- the more you make.But you just feel empty for a while. When it is more visible like ff, then moms tend to start solids cause it seems odd. Just feed him as often as he needs it. This is a time of a lot of physical and mental growth- and both of these things consume a lot of energy (calories).try actual cereal instead of putting it in bottles. Go as organic as you can- if you shop around you can find organic baby food for cheaper than regular price *regular* food. It is a higher quality,& he will be more satisfied.I also didn't feed my child anything I wouldn't eat myself. They develop their tastebuds now- so this is when veggies and fruits are important. Always keep a positive attitude about healthy food- also everyone around- or they very quickly pickup the veg are yucky attitude. Good luck!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Feed him whenever he's hungry. I know when mine was still a little ittle thing he would go through growth spurts like these.. and I could tell when they were coming! He would eat and eat and eat for a few days or maybe a week and get so chubby, then his appetite would decrease greatly, and he'd lengthen out. This is an awesome phenomena! Babies this age won't overeat unless you're nursing them to "soothe" but it's minimal. They are pretty good at monitering their own food intake. So just follow his lead, and enjoy watching your child grow!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2009