How independent should I let my toddler be?

Is it okay to let him go play in his room while I relax or clean and do laundry? I dont want him to feel like I dont want to be where hes at. I just need to get things done, and somtimes just relax and watch tv. So is it okay to let him be at least a little independent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah by all means if he wants to go in his room and play let him...im not being rude but sometimes they need a break from us mothers just like we need a break from them....
    Let him go play if he wants your attention he will let you know..dont keep him all up ur butt because the more you do that and the older he gets the worse its going to get and that gets old real fast....
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 1:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If you can trust him to not be in other rooms getting into things,,other then his own room..I say let him play in his room..

Answer by louise2 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think this is fine as long as his room is totally baby proofed, up to and including bolting dressers and furniture to the wall.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• As long as he cannot access other rooms where he could get into things he shouldn't be and his room is baby proofed as the other poster said then definitely yes, let him go play by himself. Now I don't think you should make him go play if he wants to be around you, but if he is to the point where he will play by himself then let him.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think if its only for a few minutes at a time and the room is completely safe, then its okay. I let my 14 month old daughter play by herself for about 15 minutes at a time.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2009