Is this a good way to start towards my weight loss goals?

I'm 147 and 5'4". My target weight is only 12lbs away; 135. I'm looking to be down by the summer which is an attainable goal.

I have two small shopping areas around me. I'm using these two as my targets in walking, because 1 is a mile away and the other .60 mi away.

I think that these are fair. What's your opinion? A gym isn't an option b/c I don't have the funds for that.

So......how often a week would you suggest? Also, I'm looking to eat nothing but fruit before noon. Thereafter, a balanced lunch, and a light, no meat/no poultry dinner. No soda at all either.

Any input would be fabulous. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• fruit is a good idea but you also need protien to help lose weight and although cardio is great if you work on building some muscle and eat protien your body will burn the fat and not your mucles mass. so for dinner i would suggest poultry or fish. they are very high in protien . just watch how it is cooked and watch your portion size and do not eat after 6:30 pm. I have lost 35 lbs doing this. I do belong to a gym though. you can do weights at home with every day stuff . try doing some arm curls with a full bottle of laundry soap. do some leg lifts with your child sitting on your feet. Use what ya have. Good luck momma those 12 lbs are gonna fly off in no time.
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Protein in the morning will help stave off the hunger pangs through the day. Walking a mile minimum is a good start. Fruit has natural sugars and if you eat too much of it, you may not necessarily notice a weight loss while your giving up other foods. Rather than 2-3 meals a day, maybe 5 small to keep the blood sugars more level. If you notice you hit a plateau, you may have to beef up the walk a bit. You could pick up some excercise DVD's at your library for free.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Okay..protein in the morning. I guess I could eat egg whites with whole wheat toast, cooked in olive oil. Will that be okay? I could have a fiber drink followed by water? Go for my walk, with two pieces of fruit. Followed by my lunch (which I'll have to work on). But my dinner should be meat or fish, no later than 6:30pm. Correct?
    Anonymous

• everything but the fruit part sounds great. You can add ankle weights for more tension and harder workout. But the fruit idea is not too good, as it is sugar. Good suagrs(better than a bowl of sugar smaks) but still it will burn off quickly and has nothing else but a few vitamins and minerals. maybe instead try a egg white omlette, with some low fat cheese...something with protiens as they will last longer and your metabolism will kick in harder.as PP said, blood sugars need ot stay even to help your body stay healthy and lose weight and fruits are just going to make them really high. Good luck mama, 12 lbs will come off.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I lost 70lbs doing the below.
    Morning..oatmeal / raisin bran..this fiber will help get you digestive system going and fiber always makes you feel fuller then you are.
    Lunch...wheat bread with turkey or tuna, and a handfull of veggies and a small amount of fruit...you dont want to overdue the fruit because it is so high in natural sugar and while it does get you matabolism going after so much it make it hard to burn off.
    Dinner.. grilled chicken breast, brown rice, hardboiled egg, and a small salad or grilled veggies.
    For a workout, start by walking a mile that is awsome, but work your way up to running and target 3 miles, also if you can buy some 5lb weights and do some lunges / arm excersis at home, also dont be afraid to get on the ground and do some crunches or pushups. Good luck & remember a diet is a lifestyle change nothing happens overnight.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Egg whites on whole wheat toast cooked in olive oil is a great start to the day. It's high in protein, fiber, and necessary fatty acids. I would recommend doing your walking at least three times a week and maybe more. Eating too much fruit will give you diarrhea and leave you feeling hungry. Fruit is very healthy, but very high in sugar.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• body wise im the same as you.. and i was told by my trainer.. to just eat veggies and fruit and meat.. clearly over eating off those will not work.. and lots and lots of water.. but seems to me like water just makes me more hungry.. but im doing it though i havent lost weight i have found my self... mm with a better body.. its hard to explain.. though i would deffently try to cute out bread, and starches as well..
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 5:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Atkins
    Anonymous

• sorry cant stand when people keep saying atkins - BLAH just remember - balance-variety-moderation - you need a full balance of nutrients - protein is a must, but moderation is key. You want to eat foods that will give you the energy you need - but that you also wont get bored with - remember the golden rule when on a weightloss plan - if god didnt make DONT EAT IT. Water is huge - is you train your brain to not get bored with foods - it wont - stay away from anything diet - stay away from artificial sweeteners - you can eat just about anything that is fresh made - just cut your portions. Nothing processed, frozen, or chemically processed. As far as fruit, again variety for all the different nutrients, start with dark pigmented, they contain Cyanidin which is a natural fruit and veggie chemical that assists the body in jump starting your metabolism

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 2:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I myself eat ("Emerald" breakfast on the go trail mix pouches) i have one for breakfast they have different kinds and they really fill you up and help with energy. then try to eat 4-5 other small meals a day that equal up to 1200-1500 caleries! I have done this for the last 2 weeks and have lost 4lbs! I know that doesn't sound like alot but i've been trying to lose weight forever and now this really is working! you just have to stay positive and try it. if it doesn't work move on to the next option. Good luck!
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 8:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2009