left handed:)

i think my son is left handed but i'm not sure if you can be sure of it at this age. when did you find out your child was left handed?

havingaboy08

Asked by havingaboy08 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did nothing but use his left hand and now he uses both. He is 21 months old. When he writes now he uses his right hand. Uses his left to throw and pick things up and colors with his left. He knows how to write left and right though. I think the age should be around 3 or 4. My opinion.
    foreveryours66

Answer by foreveryours66 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• well your son is way to young for you to know right now..they just come into this world and are using both hands...they are kiinda figuring out themselves which one will be more comfortable my daughter always used her left hand and i thought she was going to be left handed but she writes and does everything with her right hand in that aspect of things and she is 4 slmost5
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 1:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My dd is 19 months and I still am not sure. She uses both of them all of the time.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• As infants, they usually favor one, then they use both, and then by age 3-4 you can really start to tell which one they'll be. How old is your son?
    Anonymous

• Its a little early to tell. You cant really be sure until he starts writting. You will know when he picks a hand and begins to color and write with that same hand. However are some cases when a child will color and write with both hands....that was me in preschool I would constantly change hands and finally in Kinder my teacher told my mom that I had to choose....so my mom had to really watch to see what my stronger hand was. I truned out to be my left, that was the hand that I would always start with and then when I got tired I would switch to my right.....SO my left it was. I am a lefty!!!!
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It is kind of early to tell, but if he always favors his left, there is a good chance. My oldest was ambidextrous until kindergarten and now he is right handed. My daughter obviously favors her right hand, so I am pretty sure she is right handed and she is almost two.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Well, I think my daughter could be a leftie, but she is only 8 months. When she claps, it's almost like she holds her right hand still and moves her left to meet it, not all the time, but sometimes. And she always sucks her left thumb.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You'll find out when your child can write or draw
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Infants, toddlers, and preschoolers frequently favor one hand over the other. And next week or next month, they'll switch.
    Most don't show a true preference until they learn to write and some kids will switch a few more times after that, even as late as 7 years old.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• As infants and young toddlers, they should be using both equally. At about the age of 3 they will start to show their preference. (usually)

Make sure to put things in the middle when you're handing them utensils, crayons, toys, etc. That way THEY choose, and are less likely to be influenced.

I'm a natural leftie, but forced to be a righty when I was young.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2009