when can i start potty training

lilaidy

Asked by lilaidy at 2:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I potty trained my 4 year old when she was 13 months old but most people wait till about 18 months I have heard of somebody starting at as early as 9 months I dont think thats a good idea though I have a 8 month old and I know she's not ready I will probably train her at about the same age I changed my older one. Do you have a girl or a boy and how old is the child??? Boys are harder to train I trained my daughter in bout a week and she couldn't even talk at the time she hasn't had any accidents since then.
    ILYNAA

Answer by ILYNAA at 3:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• When your child is able to walk on their own (and therefore able to get to the bathroom on their own) you can start to plan the potty training process. What to Expect the First Year, as well as other resources, suggests that a child is ready to be able to successfully potty train if they can go an entire nap without wetting their diaper heavily. Change your child's diaper to a new one before a nap and then change it after. If the diaper is light, they may be ready to control their own bowels/bladder and determine their own elimination needs. If it is heavy, you can attempt potty training but it may be a struggle.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I tried to start my boys at around 2, and they were not ready, had constipation problems, accidents, it was horrible. They both trained closer to 3. My daughter on the other hand, is 18 months, and will take off her own diaper and go sit on the potty. Most of the time, but she will still go in her diaper if she is busy playing or something. It is never to early to introduce the concept, but go with your childs cues, if he/she is stuborn about it, or continues to have accidents then they are obviously not ready. What ever you do don't force the issue or it will cause th echild to regress and may take even longer to train.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• my daughter is 18 months and is almost completely potty trained. It all depends on the child and the parent. Start whenever you feel like you're ready to take the time, cuz believe me, it isn't easy to get them using it! haahaa
    braydynnesmomma

Answer by braydynnesmomma at 3:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2009