Ringworms in armpits!

Believe me when I say I am a very clean person. Thought I had a very bad yeast infection in armpits. It would clear up and then reoccur.Dr diagnosed me as having ringworms much to my horror! Dr claimed it is very common! We have a pet dog in the yard. Once a I cared for my sons guinea pig a year ago.the guinea pig had a rash that my rancher dh cleared with medicine obtained from the feed store.GP rash cleared and we beefed up vitamin C. Question is anyone know how I got the rash and could I have gotten from the Guinea pig that has since died.RIP Rumpie! Thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Health

• You need a anti fungal cream and sunlight, Try herbal remedys too?
    Anonymous

• Ringworm is not a WORM at all, but a fungus. PP is correct. All you need to clear it up is an anti fungal cream.(sunlight?--couldn't hurt, I guess =D) I don't know how you contracted it, but my son caught it from another litle boy when he was three, and the doc prescribed anti fungal cream.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It can be spread from animal to human, this kind can't be spread from human to human, But there is another kind that can be spread from human to human. Your doctor should have recommended an antifungal cream. I've also seen to wash clothes in an antifungal detergent, but I don't know what one would be, other than perhaps adding bleach- not sure. Your doctor should be able to advise you about that.

Answer by Bmat at 3:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• We had ringworm go through our pets, livestock and kids because of ONE small contact with an infested cow. Our vet recommended swabbing the area, even bathing, with Betadine, which you can buy off the shelf, two or three times a day for the animals. Worked with humans too. Everything cleared up within 3 to 6 weeks.

My SIL got it the same way, same animal, and she used creams, medicines, everything the doctor prescribed except Betadine. She ended up having to euthanize her Sheltie because the ringworm or meds ate through the dog's skin, and her daughter still had ringworm after a year of being treated by the doctor.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Ooh, ick! I'm sorry! I hope you get it cleared up soon.

Also, people should really stop assuming that so many things are from people being "dirty."
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 4:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Ringworm is usually just one or 2 circular patches. This sounds like you have a larger rash. My dh just had a rash like this. It had many ringworm like qualities, several of the little circles, but many others that were not like that. It was diagnosed as Pityriasis Rosea. It is frequently confused with ringworm and can last from several weeks to several months. It isn't a fungus so ringworm treatments will not work. It is brought on by a virus. This site has some good info and pictures. http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/common_pityriasis.html. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 16, 2009