How do I respond to my husband when he tells me "Anyone can take a picture."?

I have always loved to take pictures. Usually just playing around. However I have always managed to get pretty good shots. Well I have decided to become more serious so I invested in a DSLR camera and am taking classes to expand my abilities. He kinda hurt my feelings when he made that comment. I believe it is an art form. That is like saying "Anyone can draw a picture." I know that... But is the picture good? Is anyone following me. He thinks I am am wasting my money. I believe in the long run I will be able to make decent money. Maybe not rich... but who cares when you do something you love.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• i think hes jealous
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• honesty- ignore him.
    If you are doing something you love find your joy in that- not in what people say about it.

if it is your money- and he says you are wasting it, simply tell him it is your money and you are spending it on what you enjoy.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Artists eyes are different from other peoples'. Not just ANYONE can take a GOOD picture, or capture the precious moment when it happens. So many times while I was waiting for my camera to "boot up", the moment was lost forever! If you have a talent for capturing beauty, or are able to catch the enchantment, the expression, or the magic of nature in a way that is unique, of course you should pursue that dream!! Not everyone who puts pencil to paper can draw, either! It IS a talent that must be honed. Follow your dream!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Bottom line is, you can waste money on whatever you want. How much money does he waste on his hobbies? How many copies of the exact same tool does he own? How many power tools that he never uses does he own? Tell him to shut up or you can start to talk about unnecessary purchases like power tools.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Oh, and yes, anyone can press a button on a camera and take a picture. But, as Jack Picone once said, only some people can make a camera sing and dance.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Hand him the camera and tell him to prove it.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Don't let him discourage you in any way shape or form, I have a Kodak camera and its quite easy, infact my grandson who is 9 can make the camera talk. why not try one of these easy share ones to start out and do baby steps . in fact they have a new one I saw an info mercial on it and you don't have to redue some things its perfect in any light , or any problems supposed to be around 175.00 and 12megapixals
    Simplyshy

Answer by Simplyshy at 6:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'm a professional photographer and it's comments like that, that irk me. This is one of my fave quotes:

"If you think my camera takes good pictures, you should see how my oven cooks dinner."

LOL. Seriously...if you want to pursue photography in the future and learn the ins and outs of photography, you need a decent DSLR. You can get one of the semi-pro ones to start as you don't need top of the line if UR just learning the basics. But to fully learn photography, yes, you need a decent camera that hopefully you can eventually use when you begin portfolio building after you learn the essentials. GL and don't let him get you down. =)
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 7:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I had a similar problem (if you want the full story feel free to check out my blog http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1243523/Where_did_I_go_Who_was_I_Who_am_I_now). I had a heart to heart with the DH, a serious talk. It took me explaining that he still has the same friends/job/hobbies that he did before me and the kids came on the scene. I did also explain to him that his hobbies cost WAAAAYYY more than mine in the overall scheme of things. I did however make the same sort of comment to him about his 4x4 Jeep hobby (it's driving on a trail how hard can it be), so he put me behind the wheel for a day and I ate my words. I agree with talking to him and then handing him the camera. My DH has picked up my camera before and admitted that it's harder than he thought it would be. He also likes to watch me edit photos because he doesn't know how I remember all the ins and outs of Photoshop.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• How about a response like "Anyone can be a jerk?" Sorry. That's the first thing that came to my mind. Honestly, I don't know your relationship or circumstances. But I do know that men sometimes get frustrated with whatever (like money issues) and they tend to vent and turn some of that frustration on their spouse. Not that they ever totally mean what they say, but they wouldn't say it if they didn't feel it on some level. Nobody has the right to hurt someone else's feelings or bring them down with harsh words. You have to let him know that this hurt you b/c you felt that he was belittling your desire to pursue this. But you have to let him tell you why he feels this way too. Good communication is the key here.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 3:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2009