Fever for 5 days, hysterical crying...Help!

My daughter (will be 1 in a few days) woke up Wednesday night with a fever around 104. She had a mild cold since Saturday, but nothing that would warrant a fever this high. We got her down to 102 with Motrin and a bath and took her to the ped thurs morning. they said it was just a virus probably not associated with the cold and really nothing we can do. We took her to urgent care Friday night after the fever was back up to 103-104 even though we were giving Motrin and tylenol alternated. They found an ear infection (she has recurrent ear infections) and gave us an antibiotic. She's still running fevers up to 102 and is SO unhappy. Cries hysterically, cannot be comforted, is not eating at all. Only a small amount of breastmilk/juice. I'm beside myself with what to do. She's obviously in pain but the motrin/tylenol are not helping. I'm scared something else is wrong with her and they aren't finding it. She's also teething..btw.

kaliebugsmomma

Asked by kaliebugsmomma at 3:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I should add she's cutting the top four teeth also..
    kaliebugsmomma

Answer by kaliebugsmomma at 3:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• This might sound crazy ...but putting a little bit of breastmilk in her ear may help get rid of the ear infection, which in turn will probably lower her fever because the body will have less of a battle. ...Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Try giving her a peppermint bath will help with the fever, and it will relax her, cold water is also helpful for cooling down the temp or juice n make sure she is getting some fresh air hope she feels better but most of all say a little prayer.
    threetimesaroun

Answer by threetimesaroun at 7:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would continue to alternate the tylenol and motrin every 4 hours. Motrin will also help with the teething. There are homeopathic teething tablets that are all natural. You place them under their tongue and they dissolve almost instantly. Some babies have trouble sleeping due to teething pain. These may allow your baby to stop crying and sleep as the pain is relieved. If the babies temp goes above 102.5, I would reccomend you continue to call your pediatrician. Some babies will spike a temp when teething too. Good luck
    Anonymous

• My baby is teething right now with her top teeth and it is the same thing. High fever 102 -103. Not sleeping and drooling - not wanting to eat solids. I think we babies that are alike. Bijan has her top two teeth and then ones on the sides (eye teeth) are coming in and causing hell!! I did not take her to the pedi - there just going to say that she has a cold or something stupid. Good luck and let me know how you are doing.
    bijansmom

Answer by bijansmom at 3:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009