Why do people think that people on welfare, SSI, Disability, or Seniors collecting their Social Security Pensions don't pay into the Federal Coffers?

When the subject of taxes and federal money comes up, people on these programs are made to feel like a burden because some folks think they don't pay into the federal coffers. Everytime they buy gas, or food, or cigarettes, or soda, or use a toll road or just breath, they pay a tax. We all do. The federal government has a tax in everything. Why are there so many that forget this and forget that these are people too?

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I understand what you mean completely. I myself had to be on welfare after I had my first son. When I used to card people always looked at me like I wasn't trying to take care of my family..but that was just it. I had to have the assistance to provide for my child. Luckily we don't use it anymore but people shouldn't judge someone because of it we all pay in one way or another.. Some people just don't get it.

TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 4:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• That's just how people are. No matter what you say or how you feel it's not going to change sadly. I just think it ticks off a lot of people because some take advantage of welfare, SSI and disability. What ticks me off is my mother who worked hard since she was 16 and is now on SSI only gets 1100.00 a month. She is holding on to her house by a thread that she worked so hard to get. She may have 20 bucks left over after paying her mortgage, bills and meds. She has even told me she cuts her meds in half to make them last longer or doesn't even get them.People who do take advantage get much more in benefits. And then we wonder WTH is wrong with our system?

Anonymous

• Good point, forever. Also when they pay their phone bill, electric bill, gas bill, waste removal, etc etc. Income tax is not the only federal tax.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Very few people pay in nothing and get nothing.
    Many people pay in some and get some.
    Many people pay in nothing and get a lot.
    Many people pay in a lot and get squat.

The latter is me and I think it sucks!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• WELL SADLY IN OUR FAMILY FOR THE FIRST TIME, MY ONE SON WILL BE ON WELFARE OR SHOULD I SAY I HOPE SO. HE IS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN, HAS PAID TAXES.. HE MAY NOT QUALIFY..
    yiayiaann

Answer by yiayiaann at 4:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Seniors drawing SS...I have no problem with them. They've paid into the system for years for that privilege.
    The rest...well, we pay the same federal sales taxes too. AND we pay federal income taxes that they don't. AND we pay their rent/mortgage, their food bills, their medical bills, right along with our own. If someone is truly disabled and not able to work then I do think that help should be available, but EVERY ADULT PERSON that I personally know that claims disability benefits is one that is still able to run around every day shopping or visiting, can do all their work around the house, sit on a computer for hours, etc.....so why can't they work at least part time?
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• is now on SSI only gets 1100.00 a month

The amount of SSI someone gets is based on how much money they make through out their working career and the age of retirement.     The more money someone makes, the more SSI they recieve.  My 48 year old dh will get more than that, but not much.   Thats if its still there when he retires.

PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 4:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• The amount of SSI someone gets is based on how much money they make through out their working career and the age of retirement.

That's how it is supposed to be but it's not. Like I said above there^^ my mother gets 1100.00 a month. Her neighbor guy in his 30 's who has been in jail most of his life gets over 2000.00. WTH?
    Anonymous

• well OP they are taking the tax payers money to buy all that...so no, i disagree....

disability and things for seniors are one thing...but welfare...they shouldnt have cell phones, and extra WANTS like that if they cannot afford it on their own.....the tax payers are paying those things not them.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• They shouldn't have cell phones, satalite cable, get their hair and nails done every month and wear abercrombie and areopostile. If they cut all the un-needed crap they wouldn't need welfare and would have the money to buy their groceries. Those of us who ARE NOT on welfare can barely afford our own groceries, and I've never had my hair or nails done. I do not have cable and can't even afford to set foot in a mall. Sound fair to you...work your ass off have nothing...sit on your ass and get all the extra un-needed wants.
    Anonymous