My 16 month old wont stop breast feeding. She ok if we run around during the day and keep busy. But if we are home and at night she feeds all the time. My husband and I are going our first vacation together without kids next weekend. Is there something I can take that will make it taste bad but harmless to us both? Or something that will make my milk dry up? Im so over breast feeding!!!

mamalee01

Asked by mamalee01 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know of anything that will make your milk taste bad. I was in the same situation as you and i just had to say no more and be consistant. it's hard to see yuor child so upset but it is what works. and as far as drying you up only time will do that. docs use dto give a shot but they don't do that anymore. Good luck and be strong momma.
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Yeah if you are really reay then you just need to cut back and not give in. If you are leaving this weekend then it may be good to start just feeding her 1 or 2 times a day untill then, only at specific times, and as soon as she starts to get distracted end the feeding. You said that if she is busy all day then she does fine, hpefully with you gone this weekend she will semi-forget about it until you are home and then just don't feed her after you get back. Good luck.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If you are ready to stop then just stop. You are the parent and should be the one controling what your child eats, how and when. She may get fussy and cranky, but she will get used to it.
    Anonymous

• Have you ever been engorged? Not fun! Its very painful & your breast feel like they are going to explode! So if your going away with your DH you better bring a pump with you..

If you are wanting to stop nursing you should slowly reduced your production by cutting off on the feedings every few days. But to go from feeding all the time to not at all-- your not going to be a very happy person on your trip!

There isnt anything to dry you up.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• No better time than now besides, while u r away on your trip then would b a good time as any too start using the cup
    threetimesaroun

Answer by threetimesaroun at 7:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• weaning a child off breastfeeding is definitely a long process. i started to wean my daughter at 11 months, she was completely off the boob one week after she turned 14 months old. you just give her organic whole milk and water out of sipi cups to replace the boob...I remember tapering down from 7-8 times a day, to 4-6, then 2-4, then finally it was just once at night, to help her sleep. I wanted to wean her off because I'm pregnant again and wanted a break before I had to restart nursing all over again with my son. good luck. you have been doing great, you did over a year and now it's time for a change.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I did this and it worked!!! My ob/gyn office told me how to "dry up". Take leafs of cabbage and freeze them..after a few hours take them out and run a rolling pin over the leaf then place against your breast while wearing you bra. I made the mistake of going to bed like this and woke up smelling sooooo bad! LOL It truly did owrk..i had an ample suppy and bythe two round of the cabbage I was good to good. Worked for me..worth a try for you..good luck!
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2009