What is ok???

My DD id 6 months old and she keeps trying to drink from cups. I was wondering if it would be ok to give her a sippy cup? If yes what should i put in it?

iLOVEoctober

Asked by iLOVEoctober at 4:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can and put her milk or juice in it.
    Anonymous

• Sure ! Weak herb tea is fine - like fennel, mint - you know the Celestial Seasonings type non-medicinal teas, very diluted. Or plain water. I would hesitate to already introduce juices or milk ... I don't know whether you have started non-breast-milk yet.

Let her play with it and imitate what she sees people doing around her. ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• We started all our kids off with juice, apple or the gerber juices, nothing citrus yet. We diluted it down 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup juice.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Sure! Anything and everything that she is normally allowed to drink can go in the cup. At her age, that pretty much means breastmilk or formula. Kids this age don't need water and shouldn't be drinking more than 4 ounces of juice every few days.
    Just keep an eye on the milk and make sure it doesn't sit out longer than an hour.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• We give our daughter a sippy cup with just nursery water in it. She doesn't really "get" it yet anyways...but she is starting to get the idea. Doctor told us that it will help her get the coordination down, and then once she figures it out well then add a tiny bit of juice and mostly water. She still spits most of what she gets out again, but she is getting better!
    Spunkimunki

Answer by Spunkimunki at 8:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Yes, and I'd go with water.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'd go with water or even formula if you give her formula in a bottle. My personal preference is to stay away from juice or anything sweet because I don't want them getting used to it.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009