Son will soon be stationed in Italy

Please how is the cheapest,safest,best time for a family of 4 to travel from US to see son and tour Europe? Single income family on tight budget. Can we stay on Military base like families can do in US? IF yes then how long allowed on base? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Travel

• Winter/spring are cheapest. Summer is most expensive, and most Europeans vacation in August.

I've never heard of being able to stay on a military base. In this post-9/11 world I doubt it will happen.

Go to your local bookstore...there are lots of books on how to travel Europe on the cheap.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Is your son married, and will he be living in base housing if he is? I know my parents were allowed to stay in the base hotel or in our home when they visited us. Winter is the cheapest time in my experience for visiting Europe.

http://www.travelingtoitaly.com/
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If he has a house you can stay with him of not them they will have a hotel there or close by. I live in Germany and most bases are the same concept. Summer and Spring is the most expensive. Look around on line you can usually find some goo deals!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009