I have a question for the Atheists,and I mean no disrespect in any way. Please don't take it that way.

I'm simply curious about something. For those of you who used to be believers in God, did you stop believing gradually,or did you just wake up one morning and say "I don't think I'll believe in God anymore?" Was it one specific thing that caused it,or several things over a period of time? As I said, I really am not trying to disrespect any of you in anyway. I just really would be interested to know how you can go from one extreme to the other. Thanks to you all in advance for your responses.

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not an atheist, but since I don't believe in God (capital G, Jehovah, a creator) I will give my answer to your question. I never believed in God. As a kid I was familiar with the character from stories but by the time I was old enough to consider whether or not it was a real being or not, it made absolutely no sense to me to believe that he existed. As an adult I considered spiritual matters & came to my own conclusions about what gods are (all of them) and I do not and could never believe in a creator god or an omnipotent/omniscient god.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'm agnostic but was raised pentecostal.
    It was a gradual thing for me. I think the thing that set off the real transformation was the death of my MIL in 2007. She was a kind, generous, wonderful, amazing woman, and she was taken by ovarian cancer at the age of 51. After that, I began to notice certain similarities in all religions. I also don't like all the contradictions and corruption. Now that I'm agnostic I'm at peace, and I'm happy. I tried for years to force myself to "believe", but I just couldn't after awhile. So now, I believe that there is no god until substantial, tangible proof is provided to everyone, not just "believers".
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'm an athiest, raised Christian.

It was a number of things that made me go hey, wait. This doesn't make sense.

I do take my children to church and I do expose them to religion in the hopes that they'll make up their own minds and form their own opinions on everything.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 4:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• ...this sounds remarkably similar to another question posted in here...
    Anonymous

• For me it was over time. I never felt his presence when I truly needed it. Then prayer stopped being answered, then my hubby lost his job and we almost lost our home,then not just one, but both of my precious boys, were diagnosed with autism. Now even my third precious baby boy has been dx'ed. Oh and let's not forget the miscarriage or the difficult childbirth that nearly cost me my own life. It seems as if he's never been there when I needed it. Of course I was angry at first, but time passed wounds healed and I realized there was no one there to be mad at so what was the point. My prayers were unanswered b/c no one heard them. It started making sense to me. So I asked for one sign that he was there and got nothing. I let go completely and haven't looked back.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My mother is an athiest. She says that religion just doesn't make any sense.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Education and having a logical brain is what makes me know that the stories in the bible are not true, but merely retellings of ancient tales.
    Like the Christian ideals of hell are based solely on a book written by Dante. The story of Adam and Eve is the same story the Mesopotamians told centuries before. The birth, life and death stories of Jesus are parallel to the birth, life and death stories of Horus the Egyptian God from centuries before. Also knowing the gospels were written a few hundred years after Christ was supposed to have died.
    Besides, it was the way we were raised by our Atheist parents, who encouraged us to question everything.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I was raised Catholic and never really understood it. I hated going to Sunday school and started to be 'sick' every Sunday. My mom asked me what was going on and I told her I did not want to go to Sunday school. She suggested I sit with her in the church. I went I listen to why people would not go to heaven. I heard that murderers who confessed to God would be forgiven and go to heaven. This made no sense to me. I stopped going to church and did my own soul searching. I believe in humanity and morality. At times I call myself agnostic, other times atheist. If I were to believe in anything it certainly would not be Christian. I studied religion in college and thought that there were positive aspects in all religions but no one got it right. I believe in science so a 'God' figure does not make sense to me. But I do not want to choose for my children. My oldest went to a private school where most were Christian.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 5:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would say it was more a gradual transition. As I grew older and learned more my views regarding religion went from a specific denomination, to non-denominational, to theistic, deist, agnostic, and finally to atheist. Nothing happened to change my beliefs from one to the other, I simply grew up with a different understanding of things. The more I learned and the more I grew, the more my views changed from one thing to the next. However at the same time, looking back I don't feel I ever really believed to begin with.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I finally read the KJV bible for myself cover to cover. It was so awful, I got another version, NAV and read it too...and another The Way...they were all the same bunch of violent, jealous, smiting, raping, sacrificing, bloody nonsense. On occasion Jesus would say something kind of nice but even he had some truly awful things to say. Things so awful I would cry if I heard my kids say them. Very little of the bible makes sense. It is not a historical document. It was written by men. Books that might have made the violence bearable were "left out". I'm not exactly an atheist but I'm definitely not a Christian anymore. I don't hold anything against Christians but wish more of them would actually read the bible for themselves instead of taking the pastors word for it.
    Anonymous