Fried chicken problem

Does anyone have a recipe for fride chicken or chicken fried steak that the batter doesnt fall off? I can't find a recipe that makes it crispy and still satys on the meat! Help please? Am I cooking it wrong like to slowly or not hot enough or something?

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 4:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• you should be sure the chicken is patted dry before starting the breading process. Also make sure your oil is very hot before adding the chicken, if you flick a drop of water off your finger tips, the oil should pop telling you it is ready. As far as recipes go, I use Berts fried chicken recipe off the food network site, it works the best for me
    MsMESSx2

Answer by MsMESSx2 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• After you bread the chicken with the flour let it rest for a couple of hours. It gives the breading a chance to adhere to the meat. Then right before you cook it dredge it through the flour again, shake off the excess... then fry. That's how you make extra crispy chicken.
    In my flour I use season salt, garlic powder and pepper.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Oh and you'll want to cook it over medium keeping a lid on it until the very end. Remove the lid a few minutes before you take the chicken out to crisp up. And turn it often.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Dry your meat off before flouring/dipping in egg or milk/flouring again. Use a skillet with a non stick coating. Make sure the oil in the pan is hot before adding your battered chicken or steak. Also, when you go to turn it, use a flat spatula to get the underside of the meat loosened before turning it.

I brown my chicken in oil, then bake it in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes instead of cooking it in the skillet for the whole time. That seems to help; it lessens the chance that the meat will stick to the bottom of the skillet.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Have you tried using cornflakes as part of your flour mix? Nice and extra crispy.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• For chicken fried steaks I dredge the meat in beaten egg, then in flour, back in the egg, and back in the flour. Put it immediately into the oil. The oil should be hot enough to where it sizzles pretty good when you put the meat in. It should contine to sizzle til the meat is done. This also works for fried chicken, but with fried bone-in chicken you will want to cover the pan to keep the heat in and make sure the chicken cooks all the way through.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• only flip one oe two time that will help my grand mother told me to cook in a electeic skillet it help crips up the best
    michellesp

Answer by michellesp at 1:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009