People that played sports during high school

I went on a college visitation trip through the school with my dd who is 16. My dd always told me that there were kids in her class that made fun of her but I honestly thought she was blowing it out of proportion. Well apparently she was not! The kids that were making fun of her the whole trip were the athletes in the class. I played sports in high school and I was in the band and marching band at school. They were making fun of my dd because she is an A student and she does ballet and plays the violin and is in marching band. Anything that they could make comments about they did. I suppressed my anger at because I did not want to fly off the handle in front of the teachers that were there on the trip. I did manage to throw a few daggar looks. My question is did any of you ladies that played sports make fun of the so called "geeks" (that is what they refered to my dd as) in high school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I played sports, but I never made fun of anybody!! I do know of others who did, however some were in sports and some weren't. I really don't have any advice for you, except that we all came together in 10th and 11th grade. I think it all has to do with maturation. I'm sorry;) I hope somebody can give you better advice than I! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• My son is in 8th grade and it seems like the jocks are the meanest kids in the school. Why wouldn't the teachers on that trip notice the rotten behavior? I often wonder if that is why my older son who graduated did poorly in school because if he did well he wouldn't have fit in. Sad, kids can be so mean! Just remind your dd she will be a better adult someday for going thru this.
    Anonymous

• I played sports and still got picked on because I was overweight.
    Anonymous

• I played several sports in high school and college and never picked on anyone.
    A big part of being an athelete used to be pride in your school and in yourself,
    and that would not include being disrepectful to others.
    There was camraderie among all the students and we were all appreciative of whatever activities anyone chose to do. But then I graduated high school in 1977 and college in 1981,
    and I suppose times have changed.

That behavior should never be acceptable.
    I think you set a good example by holding your anger, even though it must have been tough.
    I think those athletes were probably jealous of your daughter, and trying to boost themselves up by picking on her. I hope she realizes she has more class than any of those knuckleheads, and she should do he best to ignore them and press on.
    Anonymous