Can you "crate" a cat?

I am cat sitting for a friend, and the cat is currently in heat and spraying all over my house. Is it cruel to put her in a crate meant for a small dog while she is in heat? I will put a food and water dish in there for her and let her out to use the litter box, but I can't deal with her yowling at all hours of the night and spraying on every piece of furniture and square foot of carpeting...

Amanda_Jeanne

Asked by Amanda_Jeanne at 5:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Pets

• I have crated cats before...b/c they had urinary tract infections and were peeing everywhere. I have a crate that is for a large dog and had the food, water and litterbox as well as a small blanket in there for them. Can you put the cat in a bathroom so that at least it is in a smaller area?
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Why would you watch your friends cat knowing it was in heat?????
    bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It should be fine, but she may just get more noisy. I mean when you have a cat in the kennel for boarding they are crated so just make sure she has food, water, and a litter box. It won't stop the yowling though. I really feel for you I hate that noise.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Well first of all is the cat neutered or sprayed?? usually they do that if they are not, or it could be a sign of them marking their territory. Can the cat go outside at all? I think it would be hard to just put a cat in a crate and leave him there , because u might not always know when he needs to go to the bathroom. Another idea is too clear out a small space in your house like a bathroom, room, closet, basement and put the cat there with the litter box and its food/water. Put newspaper underneath all of it. This is what has helped me or if you can , ask the owner of the cat if they had had a similiar experience. oh sometimes they do this behavior also when they are scared/in a new enviroment they don't trust.
    Carli17

Answer by Carli17 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Yes you can. Cats actually don't mind being "boxed up".Cats love boxes,paper grocery bags,etc. and mine will climb in one by themselves if i leave one where they can get into it. Go ahead and crate her, then explain to your friend why you did it.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 6:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Yes, you can. My grandma had to do this with a cat of hers. The cat was sick, and had to be quarantined from he other cat while being treated.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 7:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• PUT THE POOR PUSS IN THE BATHROOM!!!!!!How bout u go stand in the closet when u have your menses! The cat ALSO misses it's owner!
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'm sure it's fine but if it bothers you that bad why don't you ask the owner about putting it in a boarding place until they come back? I had to do it once with my pets and it wasn't expensive at all (for one pet anyways, lol).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It's in heat, so obviously it is not spayed..how about get a brain?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2009