What will they be doing exactly??

I have my second prenatal visit on the 19th, I will be 7weeks 5days. My first appointment they did blood work & a pap (at 5weeks 3days). What will they be doing exactly? I mean, there is going to be an ultrasound right?? To measure & listen for a heartbeat?? Or do I have to wait for that still?? & what happens during an ultrasound?? Do they show you the screen, tell you what they see, do you ask questions, do you hear the heartbeat, see it, or both?? I'm nervous/excited....

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on what your doctor has available and what your insurance will cover? Your doctor most likely will not be able to detect a hearbeat using a doppler (like an ultrasound machine but with sound only, no picture) until 10-12 weeks. Before that, he/she will have to use an ultrasound to hear the heartbeat. If your doctor has a US machine in his/her office, he might do it in the office at this upcoming visit or if not, he may send you out to an imaging place. You should be getting a US at your next visit. Right now your due date is based off of your LMP (last menstrual period). They do an early utrasound to verify that due date (by measuring the size of your fetus). If the fetus is larger/smaller, they may change your due date (this is because no one knows exactly when you concieved and a due date based on an LMP is a rough estimation).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• They don't do your first ultra sound in Canada until between 19-20 weeks...e how it works in the States.you get a picture, hear the heart and see on the screen. You prob won't be hearing the heart beat at your next visit it's too early to hear it, at least it was for me.
    Anonymous

• I had my 1st ultra sound at 6 weeks, but every place is different. You should be able to ask questions at every visit and usually you can see the ultra sound on a screen. good luck!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I cant tell for sure but nothing painful , they might draw blood, have u do a urine test, check your weight and blood pressure. If you get an ultrasound they put warm gel on your tummy and u get to see the baby on the screen. Its very exciting and amazing. Its not painful, you can even ask them for pictures. This is my experience. I believe they do check babies measurements and heartbeat (which u will be able to hear) its a neat experience.
    Carli17

Answer by Carli17 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• (cont.) Yes, they show you the screen. If an ultrasound tech does it, they are limitted on what they can answer for you (they are not doctors and cannot take the liability of answering diagnostic questions). If the doctor does it, he can answer questions as you go along. Most pregnancy ultrasounds are not internal (meaning transvaginal). They are gone by rubbing gel on your stomach and rubbing you with a probe-like device.

I highly suggest purchasing "What to Expect When You're Expecting." It has a world of pregnancy information as well as tells you what to expect at each doctor's visit throughout your pregnancy.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• (and the gender ultrasound is usually at 20 weeks. Depending on the doctor, what he has available in his office and/or your insurance, they may be willing to check the gender sooner).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If you were undergoing any fertility treatments, they might do an ultrasound to check for a heartbeat. That's about the right time.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 5:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I had an ultrasound with both kids at 6 weeks and 7weeks with this one. If u have a history of tubals and stuff they will do early ultrasounds. I had my baby's sex checked at 16weeks only cause they was doin an ultrasound then for my hemmorhage I used to have. They might do one just to make sure the baby is wher he/she is supposed to be.
    Anonymous

• OMG NovemberLove, you are a very knowledgable person (or have memorized What To Expect - which I've been meaning to get!!) Thank you bundles!!! =)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I don't know about where you are, but, unlike what NovemberLove said, when I got ultrasounds done that early they weren't done on the tummy, they did a vaginal ultrasound. If thats the case, then they stick this almost dildo looking thing inside you with A LOT of warm goop on it and you get to see your baby on a screen =] The process, to me, isn't uncomfortable, but all the goop left afterwards is.

I've gotten at least 4 vaginal ultrasounds.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2009