Do you understand the differnces in Social Security Retirement, Disability and SSI?

I am wondering how many know the difference between the three?

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources.

SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yes I do..

Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.

Supplemental Security Income pays benefits based on financial need

Social Security Retirement--- is for those over 65
    Anonymous

• I should hope that I would lol. I've had clients on all of the above.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I just wasn't too sure about people's understanding of the differences by the answers in another post. The only other thing about SSI is that a person can have paid in all the proper credits and money but have filed for disability after the time limit allowed by Social Security. I know several men that this happened to. Thank you for answering.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• After reading/responding to another question I am sure there are a LOT of people that aren't! They all had opinions though!!!LOL

Yes, I do.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I've received two of them for years and still didn't get it right. Why does my Disability check come from the SSI office then and marked SSI for a disability?

Answer by admckenzie at 10:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• yes, my grandfather gets Social Security Retirement, my uncle (his son that lives with him) gets social security disability, because he is legally blind, and can not work (although his income is based on the dead grandmothers SS and my grandfather pay because he lives with my grandfather). SSI is what my one friend gets because she needs help supporting her family.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You cant get SSi unless you get one or both of the other 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2009