What does the term 'non-believers' mean?

I have read this term a lot here recently and am curious to know what you actually mean by it. Do you mean people who are not Christian? People who are not theists? Help me out here!

Freela

Asked by Freela at 7:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anyone who does not believe in Christianity. Since Christianity is the largest religion its easier to call all the others non-believers to me. There are so many.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Since the majority of women are cafemom are Christian, I interpret it as meaning anyone who does not practice Christianity.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Maybe unbeliever would be better?
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Perhaps I'm grasping at straws here... but why not just say 'non-Christians?' It's not like it's any longer to type out, and it's more specific. I don't think of myself as a 'non-believer'- no, I"m not Christian, but I do believe in something... most people do!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think an unbeliever is someone who just doesn't believe. I don't think it matters what your stated religion is. I am catholic so based on the the first two answers I would not be a believer because I am not Christian. I believe that it only can be defined in yes you believe or no you don't believe.
    If you ever find yourself saying things like Oh My God or Thank God even God Bless You then on some level you believe.
    I hope I helped
    travelmom72

Answer by travelmom72 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• non-believer= anyone who does not believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior and does not believe that the works He did , the miracles He did on earth really happened. It also includes things God did in the OT as well. Anyway can say they are a Christian and not believe .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• So if you are using it to mean someone who does not believe in Christianity, why not just say 'non-Christian?' Wouldn't it make more sense? I just don't get why 'non-believer' is the preferred term when it is so vague that the people you are referring to may not even understand that you are referring to them! I've been reading it wrong all this time because I am taking it to mean atheist and I don't consider myself an atheist.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I feel stupid...I thought "non-believers" wore people that didn't believe in a GOD not Christianity.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I agree with Freela...the term used should be non-Christians
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• They are so self-centered freela that they don't even see that there could be any thing else around to NOT believe in... I always assumed it referenced atheism as well... how silly of me... of course it means one who calls themselves a christian but in their heart don't truly accept jc as savior. THAT is so obvious from the term...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2009