Do you make your own baby food?

I feed dd 3rd foods for dinner and fruits with cereal for breakfast, but I have been making her lunches. I make her potatoes, asparagus, broccoli and carrots. Today, I was trying to think of new things to make and maybe some good combos. I don't want to give her any meat yet, just what she gets in the 3rd food containers. Can babies have beets, cabbage and corn (not together, of course)? I'm worried that the corn could be hard for her to eat since it has like a skin. Any ideas or suggestions?

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can puree just about everything. Around 9 mo, my daughter decided she was done with purees and wanted only finger foods. So, I steam turnip, carrot, green bean, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, sweet potato, white potato and cut it into baby size finger food chunks. (You can leave it in the fridge for 3-4 days as long as you heat it to steaming before serving). I also give her ripe banana, pear, avocado, nectarine (no need to steam once they're old enough to handle it). You can steam cantalope, plum, apple (I add a little cinnamon) and cut it into chunks as well. A good rule of thumb is that if you can squish the fruit or veggie against the roof of your mouth using your tongue then your baby can definitely gum it with no teeth. Baby Mum Mums, Cheerios, Whole Grain Toast, Waffle (if you've introduced egg), Bagel are all good sources of grain (in little pieces). If you're introduced dairy, then cottage cheese is good..
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Oh btw, I steam and puree everything in the magic bullet, she doesn't have any teeth yet.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I made my babies' food. I had a little hand grinder and I put in it whatever we were having and turned the handle and ground it up. My sister-in-law, though, on the advice of her pediatrician, just cut up their food into smaller bits and fed it to the baby, even without teeth.

Answer by Bmat at 7:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I would buy a whole sweet potatoe and cook it in the oven and blend it up with a little water in the blender, carrots too. And they love noodles, cook them till they are almost mushy. It's good for them because they can learn how to feed themselves while waiting for those toothers to come in!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• ooo . . good idea Steff. I didn't think of putting noodles. Sweet potatoes, I will have to buy some of those.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I did the same thing with the blender. Boy he eat like a little pig and a supper time he slept all night
    rachabro

Answer by rachabro at 7:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• ...Babybel white cheese is good, mozzarella all cut into bite size chunks. Yogurt. I even do grilled cheese sandwiches and cut it into tiny little chunks. She loves it. She eats fish sticks (cut up) and chicken nuggets (cut up) as well. She is 11 mo. now.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i would say no one the corn... adults have a hard enough time digesting it. .LOL but i'd say go for it on the beets, but go small, oh and it will turn her poop RED lol my son is 8 months, we gave him steamed beets, and OMG... his third word ever? LOL ICK! no joke... and then, projectile vomitting..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009