Is my son weaning himself off breastmilk?

So my 11.5 month old is breastfed and occasionally gets a bottle of formula when we are out. As of the past few days, he has been not wanting to breastfeed...pushing away and biting, but he will take a bottle of formula. He doesnt drink very much anymore. Pretty much two times a day, and then table food or water the rest, Does this sound like baby led weaning. I was going to stop bfing at 12 months which is in two weeks; should I call it quits early, or keep offering??

AmandaL21

Asked by AmandaL21 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds to me that the lil one is ready to quit. He seems to be doing fine on a bottle and eating and drinking other things. Which is great cuz now that task of weining makes it alot easier on you. Just think of it as him turning into a big boy . best of luck
    booboo32

Answer by booboo32 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• sounds like he is done. Good for you!!!
    auntshag

Answer by auntshag at 8:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• sounds like he's weaning...good for you for going so long. My DD will be 7 months and its dwindling for me I think. .Hoping she will go to 12 months but doesn't look like it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• SOunds like nipple preference, not weaning. Self weaning doesn't happen b efore one year unless baby has been led to it by too many bottles and too many solids.

If you're OK with weaning now, change nothing. If you're NOT OK with it, then drop the bottles stat, and nurse before any solids are given.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2009