I've got some issues that I need help with!!!!!

My DD is 15.5 months old & I'm trying to teach her to use her words more & to clean up after herself. She knows the concept, but refuses to do what she knows how. She knows several words, including cup, done, eat, up, yes and no. She will say them when she wants to say them but if I try to encourage her to say them, she pitches such a fit! For ex: if I know that she is done eating, I tell her "say done" but she goes crazy! Or I say "would you like a drink?" but she will not say yes or no, just cry. Yesterday I was trying to get her to help me clean up her toys & she threw such a major tantrum! How do I get her to use her words & to stop throwing fits like that?! I am going crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she throws a fit about cleaning up toys, calmly lead her to the toys, help her pick it up with her hands, and walk her back to the toybox, talking lightly the whole time to distract her. Don't give her extra attention when she acts up. Maybe it isn't time to try to insist on words yet, Say the word that you want, and let it go if she doesn't say it. If she does say it then praise and hug her for saying it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• She is still a bit young. Words will come easier with time, try not to force it, as for picking up her toys a lot of moms use a clean up song or dance to do, but like I said she is still young, she will get it. As for the tantrums good luck LOL. No just kidding I hope some other moms have some good imput for you on those.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Dont give in to her fits. If she wont say yes, then dont give it to her, yeah she will scream and cry, but next time she will remember and say yes. And if she flat out wont help, not justthat she is getting distracted, put the toy op where she cant have it for awhile, when she wants it tell her she has to pick up her other toys first and help her cause she is still young. Lots of praise when she does do good stuff too, babies love to be told good job!
    Anonymous

• 15 mos is kinda young for too many words, trust me one morning she will wake up talking up a storm then you'll be like where did you learn all that and it will be sooner than later. She just a sponge right now soaking it all in. As far as the clean up my daughter likes to sing a clean up song, but i still have to help her, she is an only child and likes me to help. I don't mind. When she was 15mos she had bigger toys that really didn't require too much cleaning up. Hope this helps
    auntshag

Answer by auntshag at 8:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2009