I have very picky eaters! They never want to eat anything I make and it gets so frustrating!! I'll make a meal and they will stay at the table forever pouting and picking out the smallest things out of there food. I won't make a knew meal. My concern is this, will they ever make good decisions on there own when it comes to what they eat? Or what should I do, make others things for them that they like or let them be stubern and starve.

I never once had ever been around anyone so picky! I love all kinds of food and been braught up to eat everything that we were offered. I enjoy food and always ate what my mom made. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. More importantly when will the day come when my kids actually like food. Never to over eat just enjoy food, thats all. I continue to cook normally but they are stuburn and rather starve. It worrys me greatly! What to do hmmm?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• 2 of my boys are extremely picky. I let them choose a menu occassionally (used to e once a week or every-other week, not as often now). They got to plan the meal, but had to include foods from different food groups.

and I also let them make a healthy dinner (PB&J and an apple for example) if they clean it up- TOTALLY.

I also included things I knew they liked when they were little. I always had apple slices and carrot sticks with dinner it seemed.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My DD isn't picky but my sister who is ALOT younger then me was...my mom used to make dinner for everyone and if Kate didn't eat it for dinner my mom would keep giving it to her...like breakfast the next day, if she didn't eat it then she got it for lunch and so on....she eventually she got the hint and ate it the first time it was served...
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• We just eat. If my dd eats what I make well, dessert is served for snack later that night. If she doesn't, we eat some veggies or fruit for snack. Either way I don't make a fuss, I just continue to eat and go about my business. My 9 year old adores salads and would prefer a creme brulee to a bday cake, and the second is pickier but on her way. She also eats salad well, but prefers plain chicken to red meat and fancier dishes.

Kids use food to control-it's about the only thing they can. They will not starve themselves, I promise, no matter how much it looks like they are trying. Also remember, a serving for them is tiny! They may be getting enough without you knowing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• my 4 yr old is king of picky eaters! I don't offer him what the rest of us eat for meals..to much of a power struggle and ticks me off as well so I put the ball in his court by keeping fresh fruits and applesauce, also yogurt on hand and the cabinets have healthy snacks as well...He knows he can have whatever he wants this way and eats when he is hungry. I also limit juice. Actually I won't give him any when he wakes up unless he eats cereal w/milk first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• well first ? is, what are you making and what do they like to eat? and how old are they - i got my son thru picky eating after talking to a nutritionist - happy to share what I have learned - you can contact me if you like.

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 2:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have one picky eater. My thing is they have to have at least a spoonful of whatever I make and then they can make a sandwich and a fruit but nothing else. Though I have found that If I leave the picky eater alone and don't fuss at her she'll eat whatever though it may take 30-45 minutes. And she'll end up finishing alone but it gets eaten.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I forgot to mention I had parents that were you eat what your given or go without and swore after eating gross stuff-peas and potatoes creamed, liver, cow's tongue that when I had kids I would not force my kids to eat anything they truely didn't like. That's why I have the spoonful rule (not a regular spoon but like a large serving spoon) it's really not worth the fight.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2009