does your child do this??

i have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 3 1/2 yr old and for the past couple of weeks to a month they've both no matter what say their tummy's hurt..my 2nd kid feeds off everything my first kid says...ive already taken my 2nd one to the dr just to be on the safe side, but its Every day now that they do this.. other than saying their tummies hurt, they dont act any different or seem to be in any real pain. do you think they're just doing it for attention? or should i go Back to the dr. again? do any of your little ones do this?

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 9:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My dd who is 3 years old does this. She has always done this since she could basically talk. She says it mostly right when she wakes up in the morning, and during or right after she eats something. But she has had acid reflux since birth and she has esophagitis. So I know that my daughter isn't just faking it. Which one started saying this first? Maybe the other is just copying? I really wouldn't think that it would be for attention, especially if its an ongoing thing?

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• my older one started doing this first, and then my 2nd one followed
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Nope
    Anonymous

• my step kids did something like this and still do sometimes. if they dont want to finish their dinner or eat it all because its something they don't want or like, they will try to say their belly hurts. or when its bed time and they don't want to go to bed, my belly hurts or my head hurts or do i have a fever. its irritating and its started because of how their mom handles things.

when they say their belly hurts, i say, well, then you can finish up and then go lay down. this generally ends with an, "okay fine i will finish eating" and at bedtime, i say well get some rest and that will help, we will see how you feel in the morning. and thats the end of it.

i am not saying to completely disregard what they are saying, but don't baby them so much when they say it hurts. also, dont immediately give them medicine. my 8 yr. old SD tried to get tylenol for a bug bite!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My 11 year when he was 3 -7 years old would do this. The culprit was either attention or having to do something he didn't want to do like clean up or go to bed. The attention part was when I was pregnant with our middle son and being sick while I was pregnant and the fact that his brother was a preemie would set off tummy pains.

I would just tell your little ones that they don't have to say their tummy hurts just to get loving from mommy. Then give them a big hug, read a book or play tickle monster...LOL That's what we did and it seemed to help him get rid of that aweful bout of tummy pains.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 2:47 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Kids are kids and Idont think I would worry to much aboout them saying their tummys hurt especially if you have taken them to the Doctors. May be if you give them an apple or appplesauce or someting like that and tell them it will make their tummy feel better it might help.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 12:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My two and three year old do this. I also took them to the doctor. Now I know they do it for attention and to get away with things. Like If I ask them to pick up their toys they say "mommy we can't our tummies hurt" and if they don't want dinner they say "our tummies hurt" but yet 10 minutes later they want ice cream yeah right!! LOL!! BUT my ds(3 year old) ALWAYS complains of a tummy ache in the car which I do take seriously because he gets motion sickness like me and if he is in the car for too long or eats in the car or righ before a car ride he will vomit. So for those things I watch them carefully, but for the small little thins that I know they most likley aren't sick I say Okay well let's go to bed then all day since you are sick, that puts a stop to it and they go about their days.
    LilyFrogTat

Answer by LilyFrogTat at 7:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2009