does your child do this?? (also posted in preschoolers)

i have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 3 1/2 yr old and for the past couple of weeks to a month they've both no matter what say their tummy's hurt..my 2nd kid feeds off everything my first kid says...ive already taken my 2nd one to the dr just to be on the safe side, but its Every day now that they do this.. other than saying their tummies hurt, they dont act any different or seem to be in any real pain. do you think they're just doing it for attention? or should i go Back to the dr. again? do any of your little ones do this?

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 9:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 6 year old says it all the time!!!! but like you said never seems to be in any pain!! I dont know what to make of it either!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• my daughter does this almost everyday..only because she wants "medicine"...she likes the tylenol
    Anonymous

• I have a 2 1/2 and a 3 1/2 year old also!! I thought I just had to tell you that. My kids dont do that though. My daughter (3 1/2) will only say that her tummy hurts when her tummy hurts...that doesnt happen very often.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 9:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• A friend of mine tried this when her daughter was complaining about any and every symptom she could imagine in order to get out of bed. She said, "Do your eyebrows hurt too?" ("Yes") Does your nose hurt too? (Yes). "Well, I know just what it is. The only thing that will make you feel better is a salad. I'll go make you one" (Response: No, it's ok mommy, I feel better") LOL You could try something like this to call their bluff. If it doesn't work maybe she's doing it for another reason or because she really doesn't feel well?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My kid is two and he always says, "mom, it will make my tummy feel better". For example: he will ask for candy and I will say no and then I hear the phrase. I think it's for attention and to get what he wants. So I try to pull the line on him and he says "no it doesn't". So all that I can do is kiss it better and the kiss works until the next time that he wants candy and then it's the same routine.
    JenFunSniffer

Answer by JenFunSniffer at 12:07 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My guess is attention.
    If your kids don't like the "black jelly" bean flavor, I'd suggest getting a bottle of Gripe Water and telling them the doctor says it will help their tummy. Every time they complain, give them some "medicine". They may drop that complaint once they realize it always ends with something they don't like.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• They prob really are in pain..secondhand pot smoke does so many horrible things to small kids, there's no doubt a chronic tummy ache is among the affects.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Am I missing something? Where the heck did you come up with pot smoking?!? Was it a deleted comment?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My cousins son when he was around 3-4 years old used to complain of a tummy ache all the time! We soon realized that what he felt was a tummy ache was actually his tummy being full from eating..he didnt know the difference..
    madisonsmom7197

Answer by madisonsmom7197 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2009