my 10 week old son sleeps ALOT.... Should i be worried?

My 10 week old son sleeps 18 hours a day(or more), he sleeps through the night, (which I LOVE) but I do worry that he is sleeping too much. He is not sick, does not have a high temperature and is only breast fed. Should I be worried?

Jordanlover05

Asked by Jordanlover05 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be a symptom of something, not quite sure what, go with your instinct and bring it up to the dr. next time he has an appt.
    Anonymous

• Sure ask your doc but I think he's fine. Some babies are just sleepy when they're little, and it isn't even a sign they'll be great sleepers later. My daughter slept like this, too, sometimes I think she was only up for like 4 hours total of the day... it won't last forever. I can't remember... she was still taking 3 or 4 hour naps at 3 1/2 months, but it stopped soon after that... Try to store up your sleep and energy now...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• He could be going through a growth spurt, babies sometimes sleep a lot more during growth spurts.
    ivaJoy

Answer by ivaJoy at 9:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• on my chart that i have... for a 10 week old baby average is 16 hours... this is coming from the book Baby411.... we love this book and soon will be going to toddler 411.. you should check it out.. because your baby is headed to some good sleep later.. we trained our son to sleep at an early age, and he's 8 months now, and still sleeps thru the night, we dont make him go, we just put him in his bed now, and he handles the rest.. some times he talks to himself, plays in his crib, or beats on a book... and then usually within ten minutes, he's out like a light... if you feel that its to much sleep, your Ped would love to hear from you... at least mine doesnt mind calls ....
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Babies that age sleep a lot. I have read that sleep is just as important for growth as food. I'm sure your little one is fine. If it scares you, then bring it to your peds attention for some peace of mind. Your little one seems to be starting some great sleeping habits. My daughter didn't sleep through the night until 3 months.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Don't worry. Babies this age need this much sleep because they are still developing. It's totally normal. If you are worried, call your doc. I'm sure he/she will tell you the same thing.
    first-one

Answer by first-one at 11:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If it really concerns you, see your doctor. But in the meantime embrace it!!!!!!!!! I wish my daughter was like that when she was a newborn!!
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 12:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009