My son does not like to be out in public and is having a hard time adjusting to daycare, any suggestions?

My son will be 3 in July. I recently placed him in daycare and he is having a very hard time adjusting. He's been in for a month now and he cries all day and does not interact with anyone there. His speech therapist saids that he does not transition well from what she sees when she goes out there. He hates being in public and when we go out to eat he will keep his head down and won't eat or he will throw a tantrum if we do not leave. It can be very frustrating. He only suppose to have a speech problem, but I don't know it there is something else going on or not.

love4kwon

Asked by love4kwon at 9:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Has anyone mentioned autism to you? My dd has mild autistic tendancies. She is doing well now though. I use to think that it was like a death sentance, but after MANY MANY tears, I have come to realize that this is my dd and I love her just the way she is, truely.

I am not saying that he is, but some of the behaviors you mentioned do sound autistic related.

I would see about getting tested, oh and I thought I would mention Fish Oil to you, my dd takes them daily and I have seen a huge difference, they support speech and mental development. I order them off the internet.

His issue could be related to his speech delay, kids who dont speak well can have a hard time b/c they cant tell you whats wrong ect. message me if you want ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'm a daycare provider. I would recommend an autism screening as well. Even if it's not autism, they may be able to catch another issue that might be causing the behavior. You sound like a caring concerned parent. Please visit this website for a developmental checklist and an autism warning signs checklist. Let me know how it goes. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/ActEarly/autism.html

TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 10:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It could be that your son has sensory integration dysfunction. It may be that when he goes out to a restaurant or other place with alot of people and noise that he is overstimulated and just to sensitive to the noise or activity level. Daycares are also very loud and busy places. Other kids are probably in his space and face. Often children with Autism also have sensory integration dysfunction, but not always! Your son my have characteristics of Autism, but not have that disability. If he does have sensory issues, an Occupational Therapist can identify these and there are special activities that you can learn to do with him before going to those places that will calm him and help him regulate his senses and cope better. Find a place that could do an eval for both of these disabilities, get him a full set of tests and put your mind at ease.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2009