Voodoo...

Can anyone tell me about it? I googled it, but I still don't get it lol. I find it very interesting though.

kittie1919104

Asked by kittie1919104 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What do you want to know?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• How they practice thier religon and who thier God is or Gods. I've heard a lot of bad things about it, but so far what i've read isn't black magick. I was just curious.
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Voodoo is a blending of ancient African lore which the slaves brought to the new world, and Catholic beliefs. Most practitioners of voodoo also consider themselves Catholic. The true priests and priestess of voodoo do Not engage in evil practices. They are mostly spiritual healers who believe that they must personally pay a price for any work they do on behalf of others, and they never charge for their services as they believe that God has given them special gifts that they are to use to the benefit of others. All this idea of voodoo dolls, black magic, etc. is pure Hollywood and was taken out of context and without any research on the writers' part.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Thank you!!
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You are very welcome : )
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• How about voodoo dolls? Is that to help others? Sacrificing chickens..
    Anonymous

• I don't know that much about voodoo to explain that aspect of the practice anon 7:01. I only know the tid bit of info I gave, sorry. Hey there may be a group on here that can answer that question. : )
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Voodoo dolls or poppy dolls are not new neither is sacrificing. Many old religions have some form of sacrificing to bring attention to their needs. The Aztecs were big into this to please their gods. But Sacrificing is a fickle thing with the ancient pagan world. Some cultures were more towards personal sacrificing like burning your favorite possession. And before Catholic Nuns and Priests women would sacrifice their womanhood and become something like a Nun even in Babylonian times other wise known as Ishtar's Virgins.

Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 12:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• "The practice of sticking pins in dolls has history in European folk magic, but its exact origins are unclear. How it became known as a method of cursing an individual by some followers of what has come to be called New Orleans Voodoo, which is a local variant of hoodoo, is a mystery. Some speculate that it was used as a means of self defense to intimidate superstitious slave owners. This practice is not unique to New Orleans voodoo, however, and has as much basis in European-based magical devices such as the poppet and the nkisi or bocio of West and Central Africa."

Momma_Halo

• Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 12:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2009