What's a good, inexpensive, easily portable stroller that will work for a 5 year old

We are going to DisneyWorld. I'd rather NOT rent one of theirs. My DH says our five year old (will be six by then) doesn't need one ..but I know he will...and I don't want to have to take breaks every 15 mins because his legs hurt. Any suggestions on a good stroller to get?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Travel

• i think he would exceed the weight limit? i very well could be wrong though. good luck
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• This is not exactly portable, but what about a wagon or tricycle. I know, not portable, but it came to mind. :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• What? For real? A stroller for a five year old? What is the world coming too?
    Anonymous

• Uh, I've been reading on the Disney Boards that even 7 and 8 year olds can benefit from a stroller in a place like DW where walking is extreme. ..Some were having their 10 year olds (and even one mother) confessed to riding in one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• P.S. I don't plan on riding in one LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• DON'T THINK THERE IS ANYTHING TOO SPECIAL OUT THERE, I WOULD JUST SUGGEST LOOKING IN WALMART, TARGET OR BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY FOR SOMETHING REASONABLY PRICED.
    LUVBUG320

Answer by LUVBUG320 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Look for a umbrella stroller that is large, you can find them at places like Babies r us and check the weight limit on them, I know my niece is 7 and she can still ride in the one my sister got for her when she was smaller.
    Anonymous

• We go to Disney alot (we live nearby). I totally recommend a stroller for a 5 year old at Disney. There are a lot of pros and cons to weigh, but honestly the best way to go is to just rent one of theirs. Theirs are sturdier than an umbrella stroller would be (which is the least expensive that you can get). The Disney strollers have larger canopies on them to shade your child and they have room to store your stuff too. We have 2 kids, one is 6 and the other is 3, we take one stroller and they take turns riding and napping. Of course the 3 year old spends the most time in it. Plus when no one is in it then I put my cooler and back pack in it, so it helps mom take a break too. Seriously.....there is no other reason for a 5 or 6 year old to be in a stroller except for at Disney.
    On the Disney website they list the cost to rent one for the day. If I remember correctly it might be around $15 for the day.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• What about a Macleran Volo? ..There will be another reason he'll need one when we get back. So I thought buying would be best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• when i was 5 my mom, I and grandpa walked for a few miles along the coast.. and that night, i had the worst leg cramps.. they did everything to my legs.. massage, hot towels, warm showers, they even called the paramedics.. finally someone at the campground offered their bathtub so i could soak in warm water and relax my legs.. but hon, there is nothing wrong with the disney strollers.. but i would say a jog stroller would do for us.. not bulky, and it will serve the purpose..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2009