growing up muslim

hi girls! just was curious for anyone that was raised muslim here in america, was it difficult growing up, did u ever feel "different" or that u missed out on anything or did u enjoy it? wut was the worst/best about it? and do u still practice? just curious bcuz my hubby is muslim & when/if we have kids he wants to raise them muslim & i'd like to know ur experiences. thanx so much!

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• after the war and what those ppl have done to us im not sure i would want to raise my kids muslim..i was raised baptist and that is what my kids are being brought up to be....now dont get me wrong im not saying that all muslims are bad and hate all americans because that isnt the case but have you read into their religion yourself and not just what your hubby has told you? If you don't mind me asking what religion were u brought up to be??
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 9:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I'm not, but it's like any other religion. It can be perverted and misinterpreted until the religious book (Bible, Koran, Torah, etc) says whatever one wants it to say. There are some christians who believe that women must be submissive to their fathers, then husbands, there are some christians who believe that husbands have the right to spank their wives (and not in a fun way! lol) to discipline them. I hope you get some helpful answers and that you and your hubby can make an educated choice about this.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I was bought up Muslim in America and everything was just fine. The only problems I can think of really were of recent because of the 9-11 attacks etc. Before then nothing ever was bought up of my religion. But to be honest I was born and raised a Muslim but now I am a non-practicing Muslim. I have come to not really agree with organized religions, not just Islam. This is just my opinion and should not be used for the masses. Its great that you would want to raise them a Muslims. Its a great religion. And for BBKMommy, Those people are brainwashed people and are fanatics. There are fanatics in every religion not just Islam. As of recent there is a lot of crap on tv stating this and that about Islam. You cant and should not beleive all you hear. You would not want to raise your kids as Muslims because you are not a Muslim yourself...Why would anyone expect you to raise them otherwise?
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• hi bbkmom....ok so i'm trying not 2 take offense to "those ppl" comment lol, cuz it wasn't all muslims that were horrible disgusting & flew those planes, ect, i actually have a few friends that r muslim & they r super sweet but they grew up overseas lebanon & syria so i'm sure it's diff. growing up in america muslim so thats y i posted this question. i do educate myself as much as i can about islam & i don't have a prob w/it & it isn't just what my hubby tells me about it. i do my own research. but i was raised christian...sum of my family is pentecostal i used to go to a baptist church in my teens but was never steadfast in any beliefs, i believe in god but i think it boils down to if ur a good or bad person, but thats my opinion.
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• That is what I took offence to as well, when she said "those people" I dont appreciate that...No group of people would appreciate a comment like that. sorry...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• hi maias thanx 4 the input! i know the no boyfriend/girlfriend rule is pretty strict & dressing modestly is as well did u ever run into issues w/ur parents about that? did u attend prom & things like that? where r ur family from?
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Well I'm a little offended by BBKMommy's comment.
    Islam is a beautiful thing. Depending on how you interpret it, and live your life, it's quite a respectful religion.
    It's sad that people base being Muslim on what they see on television. Those people were sick in the head. Not at all what being Muslim is.
    I'm not bashing BBKMommy, just saying that what you see on t.v isn't always the correct or right thing to take to heart. If you are unsure about something, then take it upon yourself to learn more about it. Not just jump to conclusions.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Hey! I will private message you :)
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Beach

I think the more important question right now is what are YOUR beliefs?

My SM was brought up Muslim and was born in Iraq. It seems to have effected her pretty severly. Her and her siblings lives and choices in marriage, careers, etc were MORE profoundly influenced by her parents stated desires than I am used to seeing.

I think you need to talk to your husband about exactly what having the children following Islam means to him and what Islam means to him in general. Don't focus on the "rituals" that are mostly just silly niceties, but the basis and foundations of the belief system.

I strongly to encourage you to read the history of HOW Mohammed lived his life and the acts of theft, murder, and what I consider rape he commited (marriage to a 9 year old child and conssumation, arranged when she was 6 - Aishah)

This is a religion of inconsistency, anger, and uncertainty. Even Mohammed himself could - cont
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 2:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• could not be assured of his own salvation. (hadith 5.266)

Before subjecting my child to any belief system I would want to know it in its entirety. To read and fully study history, the qoran, hadith and sunnah. (the hadith and sunnah tell of governing laws based upon the qorans observances, as well as customs - etc.)

I reccomend the national bestseller gold medallion book Unveiling Islam by Ergun Mehmet Caner and Emir Fethi Caner - An insiders' look at muslim life and beliefs.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 2:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2009