Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you deal with an alcholic bf?

We have been together for 12 yrs, with a 6 yo son. He has been to rehab, suffered through kidney failure, and has been in a court ordered program. Nothing has worked. I grew up with an alcholic father and i don't want our son to suffer like i did. I have left many times and he always promises to do better, but gets worse. We live away from family, so i have no where to go. I can't make it on my own because i have no family where i live. I can't move home because my parents are raising my eldest son that left because of the drinking, they have no room for us. I have no one to talk to. Does anyone have any advice?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • Can you start attending school? My SIL is in your situation and she started nursing school about a year ago and she is going to be self sufficient. Try to make a way for yourself through education, take out some loans and work hard to get out on your own. for you and your son.

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

  • You have to get independant. Get a good job and start making friends. You can never fix an alcoholic but you can fix yourself. Check into support groups in your area. Do whatever you can to become independant and get out of the relationship as soon as you can. Be strong and do it for your children. I wish you luck.

    Answer by nannabart at 10:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

  • You need to become independent. If you feel you or your child is in danger, then go to a shelter rather than stay in the danger zone.

    Al-Anon can really help.

    Answer by gdiamante at 11:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

  • Yes, you need to leave. You never should have been with a man like this to begin with but it isn't too late. There are many organizations out there that help women in your situtation and if you can't find one go to a local church and just be honest with the Pastor and ask him to help you. May God be merciful to you and your children!

    Answer by lilhoney at 12:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
Picture Ideas

Next question overall (Religion & Beliefs)
growing up muslim