I want to have an herb garden outside this year but I really know nothing about it...can anyone give me tips?

Is it better to plant the herbs in the ground or in pots? What kind of dirt do I need to use? How much shade to the herbs need, if any? Are there certain herbs that I can or cannot plant together. Can I plant herbs and flowers in the same garden??

2fishes0306

Asked by 2fishes0306 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Home & Garden

• i just planted my herbs in potters trays today! it was boden and i's project. we will tranfer them to the garden later. i am so excited i can't wait to have fresh herbs. we did a little bit last year but the groundhog ate most of them.
    BodensMommy115

Answer by BodensMommy115 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• If you have an urban garden, go with the pots! l'm a gardening fanatic, and grow my herbs right outside by door in ceramic oblong pots. I grow rosemary, thyme, basil, and oregano in one, and stevia, fennel, lemon balm, parsley, and chives in the other. It's very pretty when they're all growing together.

You'll be impressed at how many herbs, veggies, and fruit you can easily grow in pots. For strawberries, I do not recommend "strawberry" pots-- I've never had any luck with them. Instead, get some shallow (about 4" deep) pots and they'll grow like weeds. Tomatoes need lots of dirt, so grow them in large, deep pots. For ease, start with cherry tomatoes-- more reward for less effort!

The only thing I don't recommend growing in pots-- squash and melons. Too heavy, and not enough room. Don't over-fertilize, otherwise you'll get gangly looking plants.

Good luck and have fun!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You can plant herbs and flowers in the same garden, but herbs are so pretty you may want to keep the theme just herbs. Chives, for example, gets a pretty spherical purple flower. Dill has a lacy flower. In general you won't want let them all go to flower. Some are annual and some grow back every year. Oregano and mint will take over unless you confine them, so I'd remove the bottom from a good-sized pot to allow drainage and sink it into the ground to plant those. Pick out herbs that you like the smell of or to use in cooking, or just for fun. Basil is wonderful with tomatoes, lavender is fragrant, if you have cats consider catnip- another that will take over.

Answer by Bmat at 4:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2009