How do you make friends?

I feel like such a loser even asking this lol. I got pregnant the summer after I graduated high school and I partied a lot in high school so my friends were mostly partiers. Once I got pregnant I still hung out with them even when they partied even though it wasn't much fun to just sit around and be big and tired haha. Anyway, all of my friends went off to college and met new friends there and I really only kept one best friend and then my boyfriend (my baby's dad). They are all into drinking and I have just moved on. I'm a mom and that's my life now. I thought my other best girl friend and I stayed friends, but she won't even make time to talk to me for 5 minutes when she knows I am really upset. Like in 3 weeks not one phone call! Anyway... I met one good friend at my new workplace, but other than that how do you make friends? Lol.

sweetCorynn08

Asked by sweetCorynn08 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• First of all, stop thinking yourself as a looser, take an assesment and see where you are lacking or others comments. Then see where they are at and decide from there .
    No bars , try if it a male companion look at E. harmony.com..........I have a son in law from there and a grandson, and twins on the way. great looker.
    if its woman, stop and go to the malls and have a drink of something and see who is friendly and go up and ask if you can join them for tea , soda or whatever. you can find friends this way.
    Simplyshy

Answer by Simplyshy at 10:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i dont know! its hard.. Im shy & kinda akward when i meet new people. so its very hard! :(
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Find people who share your interests. Go to the park, to the library for story hour, to the Y for children's or mommie and me classes, same with the local college. When you see a mom walking her baby in your neighborhood. Babies are great for making new acquaintances. Don't be too desperate about making friends. Concentrate more on having a pleasant conversation, listen carefully to what the mom talks about, and if you find you have enough in common, then you suggest you get together for coffee at a fast food place or coffee shop, or that you'll meet the next day at the park, or invite her and her child to your place. It may take a while before you find someone who shares your interests and your philosophies and your way of doing things.

Answer by Bmat at 10:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Get involved in "mommy & me" classes, clubs, even library story hours. That way, you will meet moms of similar aged children, which is a big plus. Suggest outings to a playground after the class/meeting/storyhour, and you will have a chance to chat and find out whether you have other things in common. I met a lot of friends because of my children! Good luck!
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 10:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I have the same thing.
    Everyone just doesn't "get" your new life.
    So far I haven't found many "mommy" friends just because moms around my age aren't that common, and if I do meet some, they're into partying still and doing drugs and I"m over that phase of my life.
    Try going to a mommy and tot swim class, there's lots of great moms there. And maybe having friends who are older is nicer too, they get where you are in your life.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I know! Me either I have a couple friends well had now I just have the one from my old town that we have a history because our husbands are cousins and we went to high school with but besides that no one else. theres my sister but you kinda just gata go to the school your kids attend and socialize with other moms. However when your the youngest mom in the school like I it's even hard then. It aint easy, keep your self out there in kid events. Moms and friends are hard to mix.
    sholie

Answer by sholie at 11:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• First of all, congrats on accepting you're a mom, that's a hurdle. It's true, your friends move on and meet new ones in college but when they have kids, they'll look at you and think, "Wow, how did she do it?" Anyway, a place to start is at preschool with other Moms dropping off their kids. Or, little classes held at the Community Center, or YMCA or wherever little kid classes are held, Gymboree, etc. At the park and at Starbucks. I think I met the most people ever (and all my sisters told me this would happen) when my son entered Kindergarten. If you go to a gym, you could meet another friend there or in places you visit weekly. Hang in there, it gets better!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• For starters, you have to put yourself in the places that you enjoy so that "like -minded" new friends would show up there too. For example, I met a lot of people through my church ministry! I started going to Wednesday night bible study, and I introduced myself to a few people who were around me, later I met their friends-it was hard not too be pushy at first, when we got into a lengthy discussion, and I suggested exchanging numbers. Turned out, they called me every Wednesday for Bible study, which then evolved into coffee afterward, which turned into let's meet for lunch, go to the gym, etc, I would definately suggest going to the same place at least weekly, that way you might see some familiar faces, give a shy smile,say hi...
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 12:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• First of all thanks for all the answers! I really don't view myself as a loser, it just seemed a little silly to ask how to make friends. And I'm not desperate, I'm just wondering because it's been hard to meet people since becoming a mom. It's also hard because my daughter only just turned one. So there's no school to meet moms at or anything like that, and there aren't really any classes nearby (small town) that are for one year olds. I did meet another young mom at work, she's 4 years older than me, and it's nice to talk to her about stuff there, but she's into smoking weed and stuff which I don't do so I don't think we'll hang out. It just seems like life is so busy all the time with a little one, but at least it's fun (hard, but fun!) and I love it. I guess things will eventually fall into place, especially once my daughter starts school it sounds like. :) Thanks again everyone!
    sweetCorynn08

Answer by sweetCorynn08 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2009