How do I get my DD to understand the word "no"?

She screams when she doesnt get her way or doesnt get enough attention, scratches and grabs everyone and hurts them, gets into things...haha i know i know...its a BABY!!! but..she is 8 months old..shuld i start now by tryin to get her to understand no? how do i do it properly?
I tend to get frustrated easily and kinda yell and I really hate that I do that. I dont want to and I know it isn't working. I've tried to firmly say no and give her a mean look because someone suggested that once. it only made her lil lip go out and she started crying. idk if thats a good or bad sign.
i just need some BETTER and more affective ways on discipling I guess. at least to start out things so I can use them later. And I am firmly AGAINST spanking or hitting of any kind.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're setting your expectations too high. Read up on what 8mo. development stages are. She might not "get it" until after she hits 1y.o.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Let me know if ya find out that answer,My daughter is 17 years old,and still has'nt learned that word. lol
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Try not to use the word "no"...it loses it's meaning. Save it for dangerous situations. Instead, when she is scratching or doing something that is not okay, tell her..."Ouch...that is not okay, you have to be gentle." Then take her hand and SHOW her what gentle is. Be consistant and redirect to good behavior. For instance, I have a cupboard that I let my dd play in with tupperware and pots and some spoons. When she is somewhere I don't want her to be, I simply move her to where she should be playing and get excited when she plays in places that are okay. Be consistant and try not to get frustrated....we are teaching what is right so be happy and re-enforce the positives. GL
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 10:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I like the above answers. I can reinforce that you must be consistent. If they once discover that sometimes you give in, then they'll always remember that one time and try to have it happen again.

Answer by Bmat at 10:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• At eight months, she doesn't understand "no." And you cannot make her understand.

But...you CAN teach her some manners. Undesirable behavior gets her put down in a safe place for five minutes...and she STAYS there no matter how loud she gets. Then you pick her up again. If the bad behavior occurs again, repeat. Keep repeating till it stops.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2009