Can we do this? Can we establish a fund of some sort on Cafemom to help others out in times of need?

Do you think it would fly, yes or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would check with the CM terms of service/use and then email CM just to be sure. I'm not sure they are intending this site to be used in order to collect or solicit donations. If you wanted to gather like-minded people who are geared towards helping people in need, you could start your own group. Then if CM had problems with you negotiating terms of donations using the services here on CM (groups, private messaging) you would make a yahoo group to invite people to join and work out details there.

I'm with everyone else. I think people would mostly try to scam you or over embelish. The people who truly need help are the ones who are usually too shy to ask.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Sure - I know alot of mom's who have done this already in their groups. But then, who would decide and verify who is really "in need". That's a tough one.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It's a good idea but will take a lot of work to get going...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• A former site that I belonged to had an admin get concerned about one of the members. He collected money and sent it to the member. Turns out it was a scam, just a big sad story and the admin fell for it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• It is a good idea but I have heard of a lot of moms being scammed trying to help someone out.

Anonymous

• It is a nice idea, but I would not contribute to it. Unfortunately there are way too many scams going on, especially in times like these. I would rather just give the money to someone that I know personally, that I knew needed it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I do this but only in one of my groups were I know all the ladies good.
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 10:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Everyone here has very valid points, there is way too many computer scams going on nowadays, so many are scared to take the risk which is very understandable with the way the economy is right now. I get an email at least once a week from the people that run the nigerian bank scam ( I wish they'd give up there starting to annoy the hell out of me) I hope you find a way to make it work good luck
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Oops I pretty much said what littlebit837 said sorry! Didn't mean to take your words I usually answer first then read others, my bad!
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think it is a great idea, I'm chatting with a member now who may have to leave her spouse but doesn't have enough money to. How could we do this and not get scammed by someone????
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2009