How do I stop my 4 yr old from grinding his teeth when he sleeps?

He only does it when he goes to bed at night - not during his naps. Is this something serious? He goes back to the ped. in May.

Mom-plus-five

Asked by Mom-plus-five at 10:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• call your dentist.
    often teeth grinding in kids is related to allergies, I think.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Check with his dentist. It may be that he'll need a nightguard- a bitequard that he wears over his top teeth at night. I use one, but I don't know about small children. If you aren't taking him to a dentist yet (our dentist had us start regular visits at about age 2) then ask the pediatrician.

Answer by Bmat at 11:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I was a dental asst. for 15 years, it is normal for your child to grind their teeth. They can feel pressure from permananat teeth below, they do have stresses in their life which will also cause them to do that. There is really nothing you can do, dentist will not make a night guard for a child this young because it can be a chocking hassard. I know it is an unpleasant sound, but it is fine!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I would take your child to a Dentist and have them look at his teeth they can probably help you.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 12:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My daughter is 3 n she also grinds her teeth at nite... OOOOOMG, i cant stand the sound!
    LAPCOUNTER... i kno ur not the dentist, but cant it damage their teeth?
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 11:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009