• In the Spotlight:

Any Advice On Trying To Concieve Twins

basically i want to concieve twins when my hubby gets back from deployment cause we have two and want two more. total 4. i'd love having twins. my aunt has them, i nannied for her for a few months to help her out and it was wonderful. and i would only have to be prego one more time rather than twice! and please if you just want to complain about how i shouldn't try for twins or have any more in general take it somewhere else! no drama!!! we're mommas not in highschool!

ArmyWifeSwisher

Asked by ArmyWifeSwisher at 11:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think there's a way to TRY for twins. It either just happens (lots of times, it runs in the family) or it doesn't.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 11:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I think having twins would be neat too....kinda always wished it would happen to me. But then I look at my youngest son, who's 2...and think, if he had a twin, I'd be in soooooo much trouble! ROFL!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 11:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Unfortunately twins are not something YOU can make happen, unless you go to a fertility clinic and get two embryos implanted or take something that induces your body to release multiple eggs. You cannot "make" it happen without medical aid.

Fraternal twins happen when mom's released two eggs at once. But they don't always "take."

Identical twins happen when one egg splits. That's not something you can make happen.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I actually read once that a diet rich in yams MAY cause the mom to have a higher chance of having twins. it was based on a study on a village in Africa where the staple food was yams and they had a high rate of twins- of course it could have been that when you have a small, isolated village most people end up being related somehow. and twins are often gentic... who knows. you could research it.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• i am open to taking fertility pills or whatever to increase but not clinics or anything that dramatic. i have no idea how to make the yams or else i would. i'm an aweful cook :( and i know that identical is a freak of nature occurance (i have half bros that are identical twins from their moms side unfortunately not mine) and fraternal has everything to do with how many eggs you release. basically i want to increase how many eggs i release....
    ArmyWifeSwisher

Answer by ArmyWifeSwisher at 11:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I thought they only prescribed those if the couple was infertile. I'm not sure a doctor will OK them for a fertile couple to have twins. I guess you could always ask.

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/multiplepregnancy/a/oddsoftwins.htm

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I have also heard about the yams. They have to be wild yams though. Not even sure where you would get those!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• thank you kiter for the link :)
    ArmyWifeSwisher

Answer by ArmyWifeSwisher at 11:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I heard Wild Yam also helps reduce morning sickness too. But with any herbal medicine or supplement, ESP with TTC, you should ask UR doc.

But they come in pill supplements: http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Products/Health/herbal4.htm#Wild Yam
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 11:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• thank you. i figured when i go in for my gyno check up i would talk to them about it first. i appreciate all the info and i'm going to continue thinking about it all and looking into any and all options. i have until november before my hubby gets home. just want to see our options cause i know some require 3 to 6 months to take effect.
    ArmyWifeSwisher

Answer by ArmyWifeSwisher at 12:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2009