Wanting to make my own baby food...

...but dont know where to even start. I dont have a food mill, grinder, or even a blender anymore (someone shattered the glass).. I dont have the money to go buy a new one. BUT I want to make my own baby food. I want to know what my child is eating. I have no idea where to start. Advice?

amygirl23

Asked by amygirl23 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Simply use whatever the rest of the family is eating. Go to the Goodwill and get a cheap blender there. Blend up the meals.

I'd stay away from any citrus foods and tropical fruit while your child is young. It can cause some severe diaper rashes. (I learned this the hard way!)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• What you can do if you don't have any of those things is just mash up some avocado and bake a sweet potato till its really soft then scoop out the flesh and mash it real good. Steam baby carrots and mash them real good. In reality, if you want to continue though, you will have to at least buy a food mill. Target sells a small one by Munchkin in the baby section for 9.99.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• See if you can find a copy of "Super Baby Food" (by Ruth Yaron, I think?) from the library. It will tell you everything you need to know about making ANYTHING and EVERYTHING for your baby. It's a great resource. You will need a blender for a lot of the stuff, though. You can do some mashing with a fork or masher, I guess it depends on how old your baby is and what consistency he/she can handle. You may be able to find a blender used or something. If you can buy a cheap one, you'll get your money back from the money you save on making your own baby food. You can start today though by mashing up an avocado or banana with a fork and feeding it to your baby who's 6 months or older! Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I agree with EmilySusan, the "Super Baby Food" was awesome. It lets you know what food for the age of the child. All you need is a blender and some ice cube trays. I made food for all my kids and loved it.
    funpolice

Answer by funpolice at 11:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• www.wholesomebabyfood.com is an EXCELLENT source of free information on how to make your own baby food. Get a blender, food processor or hand grinder and several ice cube trays. Then, buy fresh foods, steam them (except banana and avocado), puree and freeze them in the ice cube trays. Put the frozen cubes in ziploc bags in the fridge and defrost as needed. I made my own baby food and it was really fun!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• get some sweet potatoes, broccoli, or whatever kind of veggies your baby likes and boil them until they are soft enough to mash. Once they are soft enough to mash, mash them and add a little fruit juice until it is to the thickness of whatever stage baby food your baby eats. It's really quite easy and you know it's safe because you made it! as for fruits, just do the same thing or mash them w/ a fork and mix w/ juice. I used to make my daughter fruit smoothies by mixing yogurt in a bottle w/ her formula and some mashed fruit. She LOVED it!
    braydynnesmomma

Answer by braydynnesmomma at 3:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The book "Feed me, I'm yours" Vickie Lansky, is a great book that I used.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I haven't tried making my own quite yet, but go with the above advice and get a butternut squash - they're HUGE, and my friends' kids love it! I've also been told to preserve any liquid that comes from anything you microwave - the liquid has lots of nutrients in it. I've also been told to go organic!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:57 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You can do a lot of homemade baby food without a grinder or blender. Good ideas and information on this at "First foods for babies" http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My son eats whatever we are eating. If it is easily mashed with a fork, than that's what I do. Otherwise I use either a hand food grinder or we have a magic bullet and I put it in that to grind it. Most of the time I grind more than I know he will eat and have it ready in the fridge for the next meal. Like Timelessglass said, avoid anything acidic. Our kids got "burning" rashes when they ate it or even if I ate it while breastfeeding. Skip the corn as well, it's hard for them to digest
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009