What are some other ways to help my baby go to sleep easier?

I've tried so many ways. I give him a bottle before bed, sometimes i rock him, sometimes i just lay him down and pat him, and ive tried a few ways just to sooth him to go to sleep. Gave him tylonel & teething gel...still doesnt help. He also wakes up everynight 2 or 3 times screaming and wont go back to sleep. WHAT DO I DO????

ElizabethD07

Asked by ElizabethD07 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't want your son to fall asleep while you are in the room-
    If he wakes up and you're not there, it is going to freak him out since he fell asleep with you there, and suddenly (to him) you're gone!

Put him to sleep when he is drowsy. Play some classical music CD quietly in the background. I also recommend some "white noise" like a floor fan or an actual white noise maker. Studies show it helps with sleep.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I agree w/ the above. I used the Fisher Price aquarium that had lights and music. If you're dealing with teething, please try Motrin over Tylenol. It zaps the pain much better. I never believed this till my big sis finally yelled at me and said "just try it!" I also said a little prayer above my kids that I knew their soul would understand for keeping fears away. That is a little spiritual of me but both my kids never had night terrors. The screaming is hard, once you are sure nothing is wrong, you can leave baby in the crip and pat her back. Is there a bright enough nightlight? Do you leave the door ajar? Sometimes that helps. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We had the same problems! I read a book called the 90 Minute Sleep Solution by Dr. Polly Moore. It helped so much! It really helped us find her natural sleep cycle. I also learned that better day time sleep equals night time sleep. Message me if you have questions.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• my daughter does the same thing. I have tried everything. a lullaby machine, white nose machine, staying up late. nothing has worked so far except keeping her naps farther apart.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:44 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think you should get a more regimented bedtime schedule. Stick to the same thing every night, what ever works for you. That's what worked for us.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I went through the same thing with my DD so we made a routine and it works. We start by turning all the electronics off (tv or radio) turn the light down and everyone gets into calm mode. Then she gets a nice warm relaxing bath with lavender bath oil. The we go to her room put on her rain cd and rock her for a few while she drinks her milk. Then we lay her down while she is drowsy but still awake. My DD also sleeps with her stuffed puppy and an afghan. When she is teething we use the teething tablets and they work wonders for my DD! We tried motrin but it took too long to kick in. HTH
    MrsDuarte54

Answer by MrsDuarte54 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 16, 2009