how do i get my five year old to clean her room?

my daughter likes to look at me like i never said anything whenever i ask her to clean her room or to go in the house for chores or any other daily activity. what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well, i would just make her go to her room and tell her that she can no leave it until it is clean. Keep on her about it. if you have to walk her to the room. other household chores - take away privledges until she does what is asked of her.

if doing chores and cleaning is somewhat new, i would help her some, but as she starts getting it, you need to back off so that she is doing it on her own.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• You could do what my mom did. Tell me twice to clean my room and on the third time walk in and start chucking anything on the floor into a box for charity. If I wasn't going to appreciate and care for my things, another child would. Sound harsh? It really wasn't and parents shouldn't be afraid of hurting their kids feelings because it's not a personal attack. It's a very simple life lesson. If I don't take care of my car, it's going to wear down faster and I won't have it any more. Start teaching these lessons early. If she can't care for and respect her things, she's going to lose them. It took one "in the box to charity" episode before I started keeping my room clean without being asked. I'm also an absolutel neat freak today. My house is 10 times cleaner than my moms lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Hide something you know she likes. When she asks if you have seen it, explain to her that she needs to pick up her toys to find it.

That sounds mean, but it worked for my three year old. He actually likes to put stuff away when he's done now. Hopefully it lasts lol.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Do the charity threat, or the hide a toy. Only if this is something she is used to. My parents did the charity thing, and I did that with my son. However, my sister hid her son's favorite video game in the bottom of his closet under all his clothes he failed to put away (he is 12) and he now keeps his room quite clean.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Make her. If my son ignores me when I ask him to pick something up he loses that thing. If he does not pick up his room when asked he loses everything that is out. He is given a 10 minute warning that he has to pick up. Ten minutes later we tell him it is time to pick up if he does not he loses stuff and has to earn it back by doing extra things around the house. He rarely ignores me now. I started when my son was 9 months old if they are old enough to drag stuff out they are old enough to put it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• All of the above. You're the parent, make her do it.
    bethelann2004

Answer by bethelann2004 at 2:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• when dh was little his mom took his toys and gave them to the kids across the street, his room was clean from then on out... its bad enough to have your toys disappear, but to have to see other kids playing with the is worse!
    Anonymous

• kids that age need a HUGE task (like cleaning a room) broken down into managable chunks. We as adults do the same thing, we just do it in our head, thinking 'I'll gather all the trash then I'll sweep the floor, then I'm dust the shelves...."

Kids can;t think that on their own, so we teach them how by helping them break it down,
    "You need to clean your room, let's see, what needs to e done - toys, clothes, trash, sheets.....
    SO, the first thing I want you to do is pick up all the trash and put it into this bag (I give my kids those plastic bags from the groocery stores). Let's see how full you can get this bag."

when she's done, you say "Good Job on getting the trash. Next, pick up all the toys." I actually even had to break that down. Pick up the Legos. Pick up the cars, pick up the colored pencils." for a while to help them get used to it.

Then you do the next thing... this helps them divide/organize large tasks
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• also, make sure you are right in front of her, making eye contact when you tell her somehting, so you can see on her face she heard you. Have her repeat it back to you. Kids can e lost in their own world and not hear us, we have to make sure we have theiir attention. it gets easier as they get older
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I told my dd that if she doesn't start cleaning that we were going to put all her stuff in a pile and shovel it into the trash can outside...needless to say, she acted like it was no big thing~ until after all her stuff was in a pile and dad came in with a shovel! lol! she got up super fast and started cleaning. we have not actually had to go through with it....but she cleans her room now.
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 7:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009