Feedings?

When do I start giving my son baby food more than once a day? He is five months old and right now he eats ceral once a day and then 32-40 oz of formula a day. He will be starting on veggies next month. When I do this will he eat ceral for one meal and veggies for another? I'm so confused.

cryssi_renee

Asked by cryssi_renee at 12:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is really nothing to be confused about. Solid foods are just practice for the next couple of months...formula or breastmilk still provides all the nutrients baby needs. I gave 2-3 servings of cereal at 5 mo. (only a teaspoon or so at each). Once you start introducing veggies, you can do a veggie at one meal and cereal at another, etc. As baby gets older, you'll gradually work up to several things at one meal. (i.e. by 7 mo., I would give a veggie, cereal and a fruit at each meal). I made my own baby food though, so it was really easy to offer a variety in small quantities. You can mix cereal with fruits and veggies too. (Banana and Rice, Oatmeal and Apple, Barley and Squash, etc.) As with most things...take your cue from your baby. When baby says he is done, resist the urge to give just one more bite. (Turning head away, pushing food away, spitting food out).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Remember that formula is his main meal...but you can go ahead and step it up when you introduce the next foods.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My daughter hates baby ceral so I mix the ceral and baby food together. I started giving her food three times a day when she was about 7 months old, after she was used to all the varieties. Just keep a watch for allergies.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2009