For those who do believe, what made you believe in your God?

I have been struggleing with this my whole life. I'm not sure if I do or not. I want to. However I love and believe in science as well. I believe there is life elsewhere not just here on earth. My father was a christian (he has passed) and so is my mom. They always want to try to "save" me. Sometimes I get mad because I think they are trying to push their religon on me.
When I do go to church I cry and feel guilty and I always feel like our preacher is talking about me.
Anyway, I was just curious about how others came to their religon.

lincsmom74

Asked by lincsmom74 at 12:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Christian. ...I'm Pagan. And nothing "made me believe in my God". ...it just felt right. it felt like something i have believed and have been doing and have known forever. It still allows me to accept science as well as all other beliefs. It is what is best for me.
    Good luck in your search.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I believe you can honor and respect the Divine(God and/or Goddess) without getting rid of your belief in science. Both are possible, they can mix well.

Ive always believed in a higher power but my understanding has changed over the years. I was christian, Im now eclectic pagan.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have always believed in God, almost like I was born with this knowledge. My Mom left the Catholic church as we grew up, so no influence there and Dad was a doctor, so NO influence there. I believe in Father and Mother God as "one" and in reincarnation. I am spiritual but not religious. If your preacher is making you feel like crap, he's doing a poor job. Forcing religious policy on people by way of guilt is ridiculous. Go to another church, seek other options, ask for a SIGN and when it comes to you, accept it and don't question it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• my parents are Christians, they took me to church, they never 'tried to save me', they just showd me thier life and exposed me to church and showed me their belief. I have always felt God is with me, felt close to Him and lved y Him and have been a Christian since I was 5. My brother was raised the same and he is.. well, I don't know... Atheist? Agnostic? I don't even think he is sure. He was living with a Wiccan for a while, but not anymore.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I grew up catholic and christian and my dad is a pastor, but I just have a personal relationship whith god. I don't go to a catholic church or a christian.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have believed in God ever since I was a child. I have had many personal experiences where God has shown His love and faithfulness to me. I will never ever doubt His existence or His love.

It is not guilt you are feeling when you go to church, it is conviction. The Holy Spirit is drawing you to God, and you should follow. Guilt and condemnation comes from Satan, because he wants you to feel like you are not worthy to go to God. He wants to isolate you from God by making you feel as though you've been too bad for God to forgive you. God draws you gently to Him in order to restore and redeem. There is nothing too "bad" for God to forgive. Give Him a chance.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Nothing huge happened to make me believe in Some Powerful Force. I have always followed my heart, I feel that the path that is meant for me is there for me to find. I am open minded. Sometimes I feel certain that Something is helping and guiding me sometimes I think it's a happy illusion that makes life more enjoyable and at times more bearable. But, in the end I believe it is the journey that makes it all worth-while and what we do with our time here. I'm sorry to hear about your stuggles, just remember that the right thing for you will never make you feel guilty or judged. I'm certain you will find something that fits. I wish you the best.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Jeanclaudia- He doesn't make me feel like crap. Maybe I worded that wrong. It's a warm feeling I get when I am there. It's the inner struggle I have within myself that I cry. I don't even know if that makes any sence. :)
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 12:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• lincsmom74- you said: "He doesn't make me feel like crap. Maybe I worded that wrong. It's a warm feeling I get when I am there. It's the inner struggle I have within myself that I cry. I don't even know if that makes any sence. :) "

have you talked to the pastor after church or other Elders there?
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Blessedmommy-It is not guilt you are feeling when you go to church, it is conviction. The Holy Spirit is drawing you to God, and you should follow. Guilt and condemnation comes from Satan, because he wants you to feel like you are not worthy to go to God.

Thats what my mom tells me allthe time. :)
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 12:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009